SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    From leaf spring to fearsome cutlass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From leaf spring to fearsome cutlass Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
What a hoot. You can't argue with the results.

Apparently, this video is from Indonesia. They refer to it as a machete but to me, it's a bit more than that. I'd love to have one of these.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That is a gorgeous blade. He made it look so easy! I can’t believe he got the fuller that even. By hand. With an angle grinder.

Wow. Eek

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'd call it a cutlass. There's a lot of really cool videos on Youtube of guys turning leaf springs into all manner of swords. It's about the perfect backyard blacksmith raw material.

A friend of mine did the rear end on his truck years ago and gave me a set of leaf springs to cut up and make stuff like this with. Never got to doing it, and gave all my scraps including those to a friend who has a forge just before I moved.

Kinda wish I'd just thrown it in the back of the truck and kept it.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah I've never seen an angle grinder used to make a blade, and I wouldn't have imagined the extent to which it might be used. He went to town with it. I figured, oh, he's just going to refine the shape with it, but if you took that tool away from him, he'd be out of business.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
A lot of the shadetree blacksmithing videos I've seen make similarly extensive use of an angle grinder. Anything bigger than a kitchen knife, if you're "whitesmithing" (not forging to shape, but removing material to shape), it seems to be the tool to use. It seems pretty janky at first, but after trying it myself... I have a lot of respect for guys that can go to town with one and turn out a refined product. I evidently don't have a lot of aptitude for free-handing like that at high RPM. Or maybe I just need to turn several hundred pounds of scrap into dust before I can, I don't know.

What he did with shaping the flats into a high grind like that, a lot of guys use fancy belt sanders and jigs to do.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That's excellent. Reminds me of the sword in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, though this one is clearly shorter. The movie prop I found online was also referred to as a machete interestingly.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Amazing skills with the grinder. Loved the tree stump for hardening and the baggie method for mixing epoxy.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
That was not his 1st blade that he made...and doing all of that grinding and working with hot metal while wearing flip-flops. ..drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
But will it keel?

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is an a amazing example of “ use what ya got and send it” Love this!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I’m game for a project! LoL
I have some steel & a few leaf springs awaiting use.
I bought a couple bowies at Subic Bay, Philippines made from leaf springs.
This is one.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was awesome. It looks like a cutlass / short sword.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
The late Jimmy Fikes was a pioneer in the modern forging of steel into blades. Jimmy loved leaf springs, he would tell me he had to run to the junkyard for a spring to make me a knife. He preferred old springs from trucks.

Jimmy Fikes's Jungle Honey:

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Interesting that he unbent the eye of the leaf spring. Waste not, want not.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post