SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Vintage Gerber Guardian Boxed Set
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage Gerber Guardian Boxed Set Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted
I'm loving the other thread on the ACF knives and others, didn't want to hijak it. I never owned an ACF but always liked that design.

I bought this set when it was issued, 1981/82, from a gun store in Union, NJ. This was a big purchase at the time but I was a Gerber fan and a Loveless fan. I've never carried any of the knives and only displayed the set when I lived in NJ. It includes five different sheaths, a shoulder harness and a sharpening steel.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HOLY COW!!! Eek

What a beautiful set! I'm jealous, I passed on buying one 25 years ago, and it's one of those regrets.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
That is one hell of a set! Seeing as I was born in 81, I was a little late to the party for that particular item.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Nice-looking set. I don't remember seeing it around years ago.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Oooooooooo my!! WANT!!!!!!!!!! Never seen this before!!
That's really cool!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed!
I have set 0999. I have not seen many others. It's a very well executed set.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful set. I carried the small Guardian in the 1980's.

The old Gerbers are goergeous.

Thanks for sharing the pictures- I've never seen that set before.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is nice. I never saw the whole set like that.

I have a Mk1 from the late 70s. The snap on the sheath came loose, the handle has a bare spot where the sheath rubbed it, and the blade is scuffed and shows sharpening marks. But I still like it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Very nice set. I have a MkII from 1977. First knife I ever bought. Also have a Guardian somewhere around here...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Beautiful set of blades.

Posts: 4021 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Z06 for inspiring threads like this. Glad you folks enjoy them as much as I do.

This set is 0262, that 0999 number is cool. I carried a Guardian until I had an ex-employee come and rob me at gunpoint, he took the Guardian, never seen again.

I had the first and second Mark II's but sold them over the years. Those were great days for Gerber, I've owned a lot of the early knives, cats tongue and Armorhide handles. Still have Balance Plus kitchen knives that get used everyday.

Win

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s beautiful! I’ve never heard of, or seen the set. Thanks for sharing.

Man, I’ve wanted a Guardian for a long time, but the prices were always a bit much for me. Bought an older model SOG Pentagon instead, and it’s alright. Still want a small Guardian.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Very nice. There are Gerbers made today which I like a lot. Fixed blades.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I used the larger Guardian in the Army in the ‘80’s. I also used a Tac II.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Awesome set. I bought a Gerber BMF back in the ‘80’s - still have it along with box and papers.

Now you’ve got me pining for a Mk II again Wink

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Seeing this caused me to buy a Guardian in the Classifieds. Another one.
The first one was passed down to me by my father. It saved his life in a NYC mugging, in the 80's.

Great set.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
UTsig, I remember lusting after a boxed set Rays Sport Shop had on display years ago.....

Wonderful set by the way

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
^^^ Shopped Ray's for years. I still have a Gerber "Musky" I bought from them, no sheath, $20.00, back in the '70s.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.

I had a Gerber Mark II that was either stolen or I traded years ago. I didn't know what I had then...

I have carried a Gerber Guardian Backup for something like 20 years. Love it, but something about that long, slender blade on its big brother always makes me smile.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I consider very few knives "sexy" but that wasp shaped blade is one! Loveless was such an outstanding designer, he's credited with a lot of innovations. Few people know he built guns, too, was noted for 1911s and S&W Model 41s.