SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Knife from circa late 40s with a handle cracking. Thoughts on how to repair?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife from circa late 40s with a handle cracking. Thoughts on how to repair? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I inherited this from my father who recently passed away. It was his hunting knife for decades. As I recall, he made the sheath for it as one of his projects in a shop class in the late 40s. The blade has a little rust on the back of the blade near the maker’s mark. The handle also has a crack that you can see in the pictures. The maker is Imperial from RI. Any suggestions on how/where to restore this knife would be appreciated.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
This is a close up picture of the handle. I couldn’t get it to post for some reason in the original thread.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Buy a replacement handle kit and clean the metal parts when it's apart. Very inexpensive, just a bit of work.

https://www.kabar.com/products...duct.jsp?item=1217HC

Here's a how-to by a guy doing a replacement and there are Youtube videos also.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.c...cked-leather-handle/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just me but, I would not restore the character out of that knife. I would stop any active rust, clean and moisturize the leather, and sharpen it. That's it.

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Have you tried soaking up the leather with a good leather conditioner? Maybe it will swell up the leather & close the spaces.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It isn't cracking, by the way. Those are individual leather washers compressed by the nut on the end of the handle against the hilt. The leather is drying out and shrinking.

As noted, you can get a kit to rehandle a leather washer handled knife. I bet you can find a Youtube video on how to do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.