September 23, 2026, 08:00 PM
konata88Diamond or CBN recommendation?
With new knives come new stones.
I have ceramic stones to sharpen my kitchen knives.
The new knife incoming sounds like it'll need a different type of stone for sharpening - diamond and/or CBN. I'm not familiar with either.
Any recommendations for brand and model stone?
No rush as the knife will be dedicated to trips - not an EDC (at least not for me). But would still like to figure it out. Bonus if it also works for kitchen knives (not sure what the steel is but they are subject to rust - japanese knives).
September 29, 2026, 09:35 PM
djpaintlesDiamonds and Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) stones are mostly equivelant. Either will cut and sharpen any currently available steel.
Diamonds are far more widely available and come in far more wide qualities. There are some GREAT diamonds and there are some CRAP diamonds. CBN stones I've seen are mostly on the higher end.
For the Money by far the best stones I've used are the Sharpal diamond stones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w25oJ67C1IOne stone and a good diamond strop and you can be splitting hairs for under $100. I won't tell you how many single stones I have that don't do as good a job overall that cost more than $100.
If you are starting out buy the Sharpal 320-1000 grit, 3-6 micron diamond paste and a good strop and work on your skill. $100 or less.
If you are wealthy or Stupid (I was Stupid) buy you a Tormek or Wicked edge (or both) and a half dozen decending grit stones in both Diamond and CBN. Then you can regret spending several thousands of dollars getting to where you could have gotten for a hundred or two and some time developing sharpening skills.........