SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Morakniv Morkret
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Morakniv Morkret Login/Join 
Member
posted
Just learned of this model a few minutes ago, a YT eval of it was on my recommended videos. Interesting; three choices of steels, but two show as sold out already.

https://us.morakniv.com/pages/morkret

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,
 
Posts: 4148 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to embed this but worth a watch before you buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWEJomQz8YE


____________
Pace
 
Posts: 1664 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting that he mentioned a preference for the grip/handle of the Gerber Strongarm over this one. Noted that the Strongarm is offered in Magnacut now when I ordered an LMF II. I will have to stay tuned and see more reviews.
 
Posts: 4148 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'd be more concerned with the edge chipping and rolling after splitting a few pieces of wood.


____________
Pace
 
Posts: 1664 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Mora makes GREAT inexpensive knives! I love them and have quite a few of them.

This however does NOT mean they can make good and competitive $200-$300 knives. I understand their desire to expand their market BUT.

There are so many superior knives already available for the same or lesser cost. Why would any educated buyer spend $200 for a thin unproven Mora over a comparable Fallkniven? For $20-$50 Mora's are Sweet, spending $200 on a Mora is not so smart. I'll keep my Mora Robust's I bought for $20 I my Truck. If I can afford $200-$300 for a knife I'll start with Fallkniven and move UP from there!

You REALLY need to think about spending over $100 on a Mora knife. They RULE in the $30 and under market.


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4217 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's a guy I subscribe to- honest, unpretentious reviews.

In this clip, he compares the new Mora to the Peltonen M95, which would be my choice in this class of knife. 116.00 at Ragweed Forge, free shipping.

 
Posts: 114974 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The regular stainless in this Mora may be the way to go for buyers, per Gideon (and another reviewer easily chipped the Elmax blade too). I caught the review that Para posted too; the M95 is proven. The Morkret may be much better as a utility knife than a bushcraft one.
 
Posts: 4148 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to beat a Peltonen.
 
Posts: 10265 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
It’s hard to beat a Peltonen.


Hold my beer. For the money there’s Varustuleeka:

https://varusteleka.com/en-us/...57747&pr_seq=uniform

No doubt the Peletonen is Prettier but the JakariPuuko is the same size, same steel, same hardening and some claims of the same manufacturer. It’s roughly 1/2 the price of the Peletonen!

I own both knives. Both are EXCELLENT! But for actual USE, for the same money buy a 110 and 140 Jakaari Puuko. If you want to match your FDE rifle buy a FDE Peletonen M95. Or buy all 3 like I did LOLOLOL! …………..DJ


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4217 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, also a solid choice, although, it's my understanding that the handle (basically a rubber sleeve which fits over the tang) is prone to loosening.
 
Posts: 114974 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I don’t want to admit how many of both companies knives I have. The Terava price doesn’t include a sheath. Until very recently tariffs on the Teravas made the Peltonens a no brainer choice, and I still forget that they have US distribution. Peltonen also has several stainless options.
 
Posts: 10265 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, also a solid choice, although, it's my understanding that the handle (basically a rubber sleeve which fits over the tang) is prone to loosening.


It's NOT! The Teravva is one of the more indestructible knives out there:

https://youtu.be/hx2xmGfsLNo?si=5vtBgTtxQIOAMuh8

https://youtu.be/XzDB9SnNpNs?si=OFnEofROyAiAz5Zu

Again the Jakaari Puuko's aren't a pretty knife but they will suffer more abuse than almost any other knife out there.

Also, You can buy them alone very inexpensively or with your choice of a couple different quite excellent sheaths.

I don't remember exactly where I read it or when but I remember some claims that the blades of the Peletonen M95 and Teraava are made in the same place. Same steel I the carbon Steel models, you can (or at least could) get the M95 in Stainless,

Both are great knives. The Jakaari's are rougher hard use knives and at least when I bought them were a good bit cheaper than the Peletonen's. IMHO one is a better truck knife, the other is "Nicer". I'm not trying to claim one is vastly better than the other, I own a M95 and several Jakaari's. I just want to give knife fans options to check into. You won't go wrong with either........DJ


Also FWIW, If you prefer a shorter knife the Teraava's are available in multiple shorter lengths. They also make Skrama's that a a LOT larger.


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4217 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

I don't remember exactly where I read it or when but I remember some claims that the blades of the Peletonen M95 and Teraava are made in the same place. Same steel I the carbon Steel models, you can (or at least could) get the M95 in Stainless,


https://x.com/i/grok/share/66d...477babfa510ca06d141a

I guess my memory wasn't totally off, According to GROK, the Blades ARE made in the same factory and out of the same steel.

Nice to have many quality choices. :-)


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4217 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I forget where I heard that the handle was prone to loosening.

Yes, the carbon steel blades of the Peltonen and the Terava knives are both made by Laurin Metalli of Finland. Older Peltonen knives- the ones that had the flat grind, were marked "Fiskars" under the handle.

The blades are 80CrV2

This class of knife- with the handle encasing the tang and made of synthetic material, are ideal for extreme cold weather environments, and these knives make for ideal survival kit knives for all-weather use. If you were to be constructing a survival kit to be stashed away for any contingency, knives of this style and durability would be hard to beat.
 
Posts: 114974 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
OK, I haven’t posted pics in a while, I hope this works!


Here’s a Peltonen M95 and Jakaari 140 for a direct comparison. Note BOTH have excellent sheaths. The M95 with a Kydex type and the Jakaari with a leather. Teraava used to have Kydex style sheaths as an option. I assume they still do but haven’t checked yet.





The Jakaari 140 is a little thicker and stouter than the M95. I’ll grab my calipers later.



Here’s a family pic. The Skraama’s at the bottom and an all time favorite of mine the Fallkniven F-1 at the top. (Best of them all IMHO)



Here’s a F1 and a Jakaari 110 to compare with M95 and a Jakaari 140.



Thanks to Para I think I finally got my pictures sorted.

FWIW and just my personal opinions and preferences but of all the knives above the Fallkniven F-1 is the best overall and is a true classic. I have a couple of them. I prefer a shorter blade for going up inside a deer etc.. That and the guys at the hunting camp don't ask me why I'm using a bayonet on my deer! :-)

The Terrava 110 is a comparable knife and substantially cheaper than the F=1.

I wouldn't recommend the huge Skraama's over a good Hatchet like a Gransfors Bruks Hatchet. Buy the hatchet first and the Skrama's only if you are feeling a bit of Dundee in ya.

The Pelotonen is a good Sweetspot of a knife in Price/performance/appearance but if you use your knife like a Gorilla buy the Teraava!

The only knives in these pics you could really go wrong with are the Skraama's if you don't have a good hatchet.......

This message has been edited. Last edited by: djpaintles,


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4217 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're linking to the page where the images are embedded. You need to link to the actual images. The URLs need to end in .jpg or .jpeg

Add an l (that's an L) to the end of the file name, just before .jpg to reduce the image size, or add an h for larger image. On your imgur page, right click an image and choose 'open image in new tab' to get the URL for the image. Click the edit button on my post to see the syntax.








To reduce the size of an Imgur image for embedding, you can modify the image URL by adding a specific character before the file extension (e.g., before .jpg or .png).
This tells Imgur's server to serve a pre-resized thumbnail instead of the original high-resolution file.

URL Suffix Options:

l: Large Thumbnail (max 640x640 pixels, maintains aspect ratio).
This is the most common choice for standard embedding.

m: Medium Thumbnail (max 320x320 pixels).

t: Small Thumbnail (max 160x160 pixels).

h: Huge Thumbnail (max 1024x1024 pixels).

s: Small Square (90x90 pixels, crops image).

b: Big Square (160x160 pixels, crops image).

Example:
If your original URL is https://i.imgur.com/ABC123.jpg, change it to https://i.imgur.com/ABC123l.jpg to display a large thumbnail.
 
Posts: 114974 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Been on YT frying my brain and also came across evals on the Mora Garbergs vs the Jakaaris. Didn't plug in the address for shipping, but the 140 models are listed for $59 on the site.

https://varusteleka.com/en-us/...kko-140-carbon-steel

ETA: they ship from a US site. $73 with taxes and shipping ($9.99 for me) but the leather sheath is out of stock.
 
Posts: 4148 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, as you can see, there are better values in this class of knife than the new Mora.

Mora does best when it sticks to inexpensive offerings. I have no interest in paying 200 bucks or more for a Mora.
 
Posts: 114974 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help Para!

I'll get if figured out here in a minute or ten...


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4217 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I just saw this comparison between the Peltonen and Jakaari Puuko:

https://youtu.be/bv22pSOEIqE?is=OAUpXqKPJ2XZzIli

I enjoy this YouTuber, he’s very rational and doesn’t hype anything. Worth watching. I makes me want one of the shorter blade Peltonens!


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4217 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Morakniv Morkret

© SIGforum 2026