SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Morakniv Morkret
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Morakniv Morkret Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
^^I watched him one day/evening. Overall, folks are saying that unless you really need that one to an inch and a half or so longer blade, go for the shorter ones. It's worth mentioning that the blade length on an ESSE 4, etc. tends to run between 4.5 to 5.0 inches. Sweet spot for a general field knife, I guess. Smile

But the deed is done. Even though it doesn't have a traditional curly birch handle, I just pre-ordered a duotone Peltonen M95 at Knife Center. $109. My two Helles have birch handles, and are too pretty for hard use while camping, etc. Went for the 5.75-inch blade.
 
Posts: 4148 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I must resist.

I love my Garburg.


Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
 
Posts: 37187 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^I have a couple of Companions, Companion Spark, etc. two Helles, an ESSE 4, a couple of machetes. Thought those should be enough camping/exploring items. Had spent a few weeks in Norway years ago; there's just something about having a good puukko.
 
Posts: 4148 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 114974 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^Exactly!
 
Posts: 4148 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 114974 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
^^I watched him one day/evening. Overall, folks are saying that unless you really need that one to an inch and a half or so longer blade, go for the shorter ones. It's worth mentioning that the blade length on an ESSE 4, etc. tends to run between 4.5 to 5.0 inches. Sweet spot for a general field knife, I guess. Smile

But the deed is done. Even though it doesn't have a traditional curly birch handle, I just pre-ordered a duotone Peltonen M95 at Knife Center. $109. My two Helles have birch handles, and are too pretty for hard use while camping, etc. Went for the 5.75-inch blade.


Great knife, I hope you Love it!

My personal experience was that Ragweed Forge was an excellent way to buy more Hella knives than I should have. Excellent vendor! Hella knives feel better in hand than 95+% of knives and can be attractive but I seemed to roll the edges way quicker than I liked. My use cases may not at all been what they were designed for. The Peletonen and Varustuleeka’s are way tougher beasts. I’d like to hear your opinions and comparisons between them someday.


Sounds like your next tool need might be for a quality hatchet. Maybe another thread idea………


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 4217 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Didn’t expect to see anyone posting a Finman. I’ll highly recommend the Ahti line, especially the smaller ones. The Kellam Wolverine Pro by Ahti has an exquisite handle.
 
Posts: 10265 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm full of surprises. It's an Ahti with a Lauri blade (stainless), as marketed by Kellam here in the states, as part of the S-Line. I've got another one, with a black handle, and that's a carbon steel blade.

Long discontinued, I think, at least here in the states, but when I bought these knives twenty years ago, they were a crazy value- 10 and 12 bucks.

Oddly, the page for them is still up.

https://www.kellamknives.com/i...c701b82339e23c716dba

It shows the sheaths for these knives, with the reversible clip. Yellow for the carbon, green for the stainless. The reversible clip allows you to easily wear this as a neck knife.

 
Posts: 114974 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 10265 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Morakniv Morkret

© SIGforum 2026