SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What to buy for my first auto?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to buy for my first auto? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I'm moving to Arizona. I've wanted an auto knife since I was a kid. I've never owned on. This is going to happen on day one if I can swing it. I carry Spyderco knives, generally a Military, Parmamilitary 2, or a Manix 2 XL. The former two in S110V, the latter in S30V for reference.

The simple answer is a Microtech Ultratech, right? I tend to like a bigger knife, and was thinking the Dirac Delta looks interesting as well. I'll have to see what I think of the switch placement. I kind of really wanted a Spyderco Vallotton and send it to butch to convert it to DA, but that might be a long-term project. I will not buy a Benchmade, so let's not even go there. I want an OTF.

There's several Microtech dealers in the Mesa area. I'll be going to at least one to check stuff out probably the first week I'm there.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a big favor & buy a Guardian Tactical Recon. The activation switch is butter smooth & requires about 1/3 less effort to deploy and the texturing is comfortable vs abrasive on the Ultratech. Two former Microtech employees, one an engineer the other from marketing if I remember correctly, started the company and improved the product. Adding a stainless steel plate under the activation switch and ball bearings to the bottom of the activation switch that makes a night & day difference in effort to deploy.
I bought an Ultratech and then a friend suggested the Guardian, so I ordered one of those as soon as we finished chatting. They arrived the same day & I was very impressed with the ease of function , thicker (top to bottom) hand filling feel over the longer thinner Ultratech & the hollow ground blade on the Guardian vs the thick non-slicey blade on the Ultratech.
I had the extra so I kept both but if only one could stay it would easily be the Guardian.
I’m looking at a second when the right blade shape& finish as well as case color comes back in stock.
I have & don’t really care for the larger Microtechs & I love a larger Knife.

* if you’re looking at a side opening auto the Stitch is nice.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, first I've heard of those. Quick look online shows them sold out everywhere, so I guess I'll get on an email alert or something. I like that blue handle. The grind on that blade compared to the Microtech really shows what you're talking about.

If this website is reputable, they've got a number of models in stock.
https://www.gpknives.com/brand...tactical-knives.html

BladeHQ was totally out of stock.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Thanks, first I've heard of those. Quick look online shows them sold out everywhere, so I guess I'll get on an email alert or something. I like that blue handle. The grind on that blade compared to the Microtech really shows what you're talking about.

If this website is reputable, they've got a number of models in stock.
https://www.gpknives.com/brand...tactical-knives.html

BladeHQ was totally out of stock.

GP Knives is excellent. Be confident.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought a few from GP, no issues.

I ordered my Guardian Tactical from these guys.

https://northwestknives.com/co...ns/guardian-tactical

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first and only so far, is a HK made by Hogue. I bought it about a year and a half ago and it has served me well. I have a few friends I work with that have the same one, Incursion and they use it all of the time without issue. I got mine from Blade HQ. Prices seem to have increased but in this day and age,what hasn't?

Posts: 6836 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
First on my list is an Ultratech, although the Guardian Tactical mentioned above might beat it out.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I too moved to AZ for ‘fun’ knives...
Microtech:

...and for the best of both worlds: Spyderco Autos:

some of the others:

Posts: 3991 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hadn’t even thought about a Spyderco. Hmmm. Didn’t think about Hogue, either. I’ll take Grumpy’s suggestion and order a Guardian Tactical Recon first, though. Like Z06, I’m probably going to end with more than a few.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I wish Hogue would make a nice slim DA auto, an unashamed Ultratech ripoff. I’d rather give them my money.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
I have a buck 110 stock auto

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you are interested I'm selling my unused, not carried safe queen of a [URL=Microtech Ultratech RSK FLAT BODY]Microtech RSK[/URL].

Its out of production but was made available by Microtech directly to badged state local and federal rescue services workers.

Tanto Blade with serrated edge.

I'm asking $275, shipped.

I can send pictures if interested

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31357 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Protech for a side opener. I have several and are happy with them. My micro tech ultra is nice too Wink

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I’ll echo a Microtech Ultratech or UTX-85 for OTF. For side openers, I like the Microtech LUDT, or pro-tech (take your pic for model). For budget, I love the Boker Kalishnikov side autos as they fire hard and reliably and it carries well for about 1/6 the cost of a Micro.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post