SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What Do We Like For Fixed Karambits These Days?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do We Like For Fixed Karambits These Days? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
I was asked to provide one of these for a family member, and don't know a dang thing about Karambits. If you were going to buy a fixed-blade Karambit, which way would you go?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Aren't they already yesterday's news?

Strider made popular ones.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aren't they already yesterday's news?

Don't know, honestly. This is what was asked for. Will definitely check out Strider.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Probably smaller than wanted but a quality blade that works as a neck knife. Strictly defensive but scary in an able hand -- Emerson La Griffe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I would ask Dozer, member here to make me one. In fact that is what I did. He made one for my son and one for me.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
I would ask Dozer, member here to make me one. In fact that is what I did. He made one for my son and one for me.

Best reply.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Tarani that I really like, however, $$$.

It all depends on what you want to spend. Cold Steel has a nice one for $50-$60. You can go up to $400+ for some of the custom stuff, like Mick Stryder. Bastonilli is nice. Sharade and Boker makes a good one too.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:

Best reply.

Totally agree. Made a sweet one for my nephew who's a Spokane County deputy. Very nice!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
While I have no experience with the Karambit design or Toor in general, other than I want a couple of their blades. Toor Knives just released a Karambit style blade without the hoop. From what I have gathered they produce some high quality gear.

Toor Karsumba

All this being said, if you have the option of waiting and allowing for a custom blade from Dozer then highly consider going that route.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, gentlemen.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Bastinelli Knives makes a couple of pretty nice ones. I'm actually a big fan of the Pika as a last ditch concealable blade. It's a tiny blade, but when used as designed can cause shocking amounts of damage. I tend to keep one handy at work as an emergency weapon retention tool. The Kalinou is bigger (2.75 inches may not sound big, but trust me, it's plenty in this case) and is one of my favorites.

I think Emerson may have discontinued his fixed Kerambit, and that's a shame. I've got one and it's excellent if you are willing to accept the Kerambit for what it is and spend some time learning how to use it. It's not a utility knife and can bite you hard if you don't respect it.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
If the company makes a trainer. Do your family member a favor and get him a trainer to. Lots of people end up with the jabby end in their forearm.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Emerson fixed Karambit is my favorite one.

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Bastinelli Knives makes a couple of pretty nice ones. I'm actually a big fan of the Pika as a last ditch concealable blade. It's a tiny blade, but when used as designed can cause shocking amounts of damage. I tend to keep one handy at work as an emergency weapon retention tool. The Kalinou is bigger (2.75 inches may not sound big, but trust me, it's plenty in this case) and is one of my favorites.

I think Emerson may have discontinued his fixed Kerambit, and that's a shame. I've got one and it's excellent if you are willing to accept the Kerambit for what it is and spend some time learning how to use it. It's not a utility knife and can bite you hard if you don't respect it.

Both excellent blades. The Bastinelli is a great deep concealment blade. Emerson makes more fixed karambits every now and then.

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post