SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    OTFs-Microtech vs. Benchmade?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OTFs-Microtech vs. Benchmade? Login/Join 
posted
Probably gonna buy an OTF auto, either a Microtech or Benchmade. Which model and which brand do you prefer and, please, why?

Almost pulled the trigger on a couple on that knife forum (not sure we mention the names of other forums here, so I won't), but decided to ask you folks first.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've had several BENCHMADE standard auto knives and had no issues, but many will not recommend them anymore because the company involvement in the destruction of some firearms a few years ago at the request of their local LE.

I've read there are fake MICROTECH OTF being sold online which would be a caveat. Cost wise, not sure(?).

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I quit carrying my old Benchmade I'd had for 20+ years and went to ZT flippers after Benchmade went on the Poop List.

I went the Microtech site and the videos on counterfeits scared the heck out of me. I'd hate to pay big bucks for a Chinese fake.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There are fakes of all the major knives out there.....and optics.....and ...... and.

So buy from a reputable dealer and you should be good to go.

Benchmade politics aside, while they have always made great knives, isn’t OTF kind of Microtech’s bread and butter so to speak? I think I would go with them for this type of knife.

Now I am not an OTF guy and know so very little about them so take what I said above strictly as generalizations.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Of the two I think there's better slice per dollar with the Benchmades. Check out Protech's Dark Angel if you want yet another OTF option. They perform more like a Halo in that they present with a precompressed spring.

http://protechknives.com/product/3202-dark-angel/

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would definitely buy one from a reputable dealer, as their are horror stories out there with the fake knives. Out of the 2 you have chosen, Microtech. I debated on which knife to get and actually bought a Hogue "HK" otf and am pretty happy with it. Time will tell how good it is and how long it lasts but I like it so far.

Posts: 6836 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Benchmade went all GDC.

If you qualify, Microtech has a decent first responder program. That's how I bought mine.

And take a look at Heretic Knives. Son of the owner of Microtech and they have a decent OTF model.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have never touched a Benchmade OTF, but Microtech's are very well made.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy from either as I do not like either company's business practices.

Guardian Tactical or Hogue are better options for USA made OTFs.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What did Microtech do?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
What did Microtech do?

Besides Tony just generally being a shitty human (who the heck sues their son?!)?

They created the horrific MSAR AUG then closed up shop leaving all their customers in a lurch since there wasnt promised capatability with the real deal.

They flat out stole the design of the ZT0777, bragged about it, got served a c&d for using ZT's patented sub frame lock, then sued ZT and a friend of mine for being made fun of on the internet.

Thats the highlights at least. Marfione will never earn a dime from me.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Microtech Ultratech is a great starter OTF, I have several and have had zero problems. I have plenty of Benchmade autos, but no OTFs, which seem somewhat overpriced when compared to Microtech.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post