SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Added some new Microtech autos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Added some new Microtech autos Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
Ever since we have been allowed to carry autos in my state a couple years back, I have been more and more interested in them and have collected almost as many autos as I have folders. And don’t get me wrong, I love my Spydercos, my ZT’s, my Benchmades, and even my cheaper Kershaws, but I have always loved the autos. My cheaper Boker autos are actually great knives, but I have continued to gravitate towards Microtechs as the fit and finish and overall quality just appeals to me.

I’ve seen some videos as of late that have shown these autos are not just novelty items, but potential workhorses that can take considerable abuse. Look up X-ring on YouTube as he does a lot of Microtech auto abuse vids, and they do surprisingly well. And though I don’t plan to hammer mine through a 2x4, it’s nice to know it could take it without destroying it as these are quite expensive to thrash on.

I’m a fan of the double edge and tanto edge, but for EDC use I can see why people like the drop point single edge. Like some of my Taichung Spydercos, the Microtechs utilize very good steels from Elmax to M390 to now 204P, and these are all 100% American made per Microtech.

Anyway, just thought I’d share as I love reading up on others’ hobbies and passions on this forum and many times it has inspired me to get into things that I didn’t know I was interested in.

From left to right: 2014 Orange Ultratech in Elmax, 2018 OD Green Ultratech in M390, 2019 Blue Ultratech in 204P, 2017 Bounty Hunter edition Ultratech (I assume Elmax), 2019 Red distressed UTX-85 in 204P, and lastly a 2015 Turquoise UTX-70 in Elmax.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
great looking collection. i traded a custom build for a halo years ago. very high quality auto.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3514 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Nice

One of these days a few MT's will be mine

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Part of me thinks, “geez this is getting superfluous”, but then the other part thinks, “why don’t I have a combat troodon yet?” The addiction will continue I think.

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Thanks guys! Part of me thinks, “geez this is getting superfluous”, but then the other part thinks, “why don’t I have a combat troodon yet?” The addiction will continue I think.

I just recently bought a Dirac Delta. It’s approximately the same size as the Combat Troodon, but about $100 cheaper. It is a beast of a knife. Now I want a Combat Troodon and a Halo.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Yeah I’ve seen those online. Looks like Microtechs version of the Benchmade infidel. I looked at the Dirac, the one about the size of the UTX-85. Kinda interesting. Seems like it would be comfortable and intuitive.

posted Hide Post
If it's not prying ,where's a good place to shop for these?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54478 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Nice collection OP. Like the tantos, but really want one in the Hellhound blade profile.

I’ve only got one so far, a UTX-85.

Looking at the Microtech sizes, I’d like to eventually pick up a Combat Troodon or a Scarab (are these discontinued? Never see them in stock anywhere)

Bendable, only rely on approved distributors. Too many fakes out there.
I bought mine at DLT Trading. Being a WI shop, I always get my orders the next day.
Blade HQ and PVK are a couple other places I like dealing with.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Scarab has been discontinued. I believe the combat troodon was its replacement. I have found the UTX-85 to be the perfect edc size and the newer body styling with the rounded edges and jimping is much more secure feeling in the hand. My old ultratech feels downright slippery by comparison.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Kurt is good people

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I like pvk Vegas or Blade HQ

posted Hide Post
thanks folks

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54478 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice choices. I am looking to get one myself and there are a few for sale by owner near me for decent prices.

Posts: 6836 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Southern Edges also. They’re an authorized Microtech dealer. I’ve bought two from them.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6984 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post