SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    A Knife from My Past
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Knife from My Past Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
When I was in college, I did a lot of back country hiking, skin diving, offshore fishing, and whitewater kayaking. I wanted an absolutely rust proof, bullet proof knife for hard use. I settled on the Tekna Dive Knife. Locking retention sheath, straps to attach to arm, lower leg, life jacket, or pack, billet construction, stainless steel, serrations and double edge. Bought it at the knife counter at the L.L. Bean Store in Freeport, Maine. Couldn't beat it. Loved that thing, and used the hell out of it. Until it was stolen when my apartment was cleaned out, Thanksgiving day, 1990. Pricks.

I've looked on and off for one since, and never located one until recently. Tekna Italy is making them again, and I bought one. Have no need for it now, just wanted it back.

So here you have it, one fine pigsticker. Factory edge is a razor.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have a similar knife on a life jacket in the boat. I think it might be a SOG.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Artie - in your opinion, is the new Tekna as good in quality as your previous version?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I believe so. As I recall, the original was made in Italy as well. This one has a bright shine finish, where the original was satin. I preferred the satin as it looked better to me, but I think the underlying quality itself of the materials and edge is equivalent.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! My older brother gave me the exact same knife back around 1994. I think I even saw it in a few movies.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
LOVE IT!

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome! I had the same knife back in the late 80’s. Used it for diving, etc…Not sure where I lost it along the way.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post