SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Recommendations Sought: How to Clean a Leatherman Multitool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations Sought: How to Clean a Leatherman Multitool Login/Join 
Picture of awa762
posted
Hello Everyone,

I was out camping in the TX Hill Country above San Antonio when my Leatherman flew out of my pocket while running up a hill. I found it later that night, but it was full of dust, dirt, and had a strong layer of condensation caked on it. I washed it off with water and placed it near the fire to dry. Plenty of ash went onto the tool.

This leads me to wonder, with all of the nooks and crannies inherent to a multi-tool, does anyone have any tricks or recommendations for how to clean and oil a Leatherman, without getting so much oil sopped up into the innards that it leaks onto clothing?

Just looking for some "tricks," if anyone has some.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Dishwasher on pots and pans setting. Dry, then oil with whatever you like.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I use a sonic cleaner from harbor freight with a little dish soap. and then dry and oil

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I use compressed for air for most of my cleaning that is just pocket lint and dust.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Thanks for these solutions. Prior to reading these, my approach was simply to use q-tips w mineral oil and toothpicks with 2x2 gauze pads. These other approaches are more time efficient and probably will lead to a cleaner multitool.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I would do compressed air and then the sonic cleaner!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post