SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Chef's Knife Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chef's Knife Repair Login/Join 
posted
I happened to be in the kitchen of a friend of the family and noticed a Shun 8 inch chefs knife. On closer inspection, I noticed that the blade is terribly chipped, to the point of being unusable.

I'm looking for recommendations from the hive for someone who can competently repair the blade and a ballpark for what that service usually costs.

Thank you in advance.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 232 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
FWIW, this is something I found online when I did a search.

"Does Shun sharpen knives for free?
We will sharpen your Shun cutlery for free, for as long as you own it. It's as simple as that. You pay for shipping and processing, and our expert sharpening services are FREE."

Probably worth a call to ask.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've sent my whole set to them. They came back sharp.

But they do chip rather easily, at least, in my kitchen with other people using them. And you're out of the knives after you ship them until you get them back.

I've learned to sharpen knives instead. For my Shun knives, I sharpen them to 13 degrees on each side using a Ken Onion Sharpener with the Belt Grinder attachment.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
FWIW, this is something I found online when I did a search.

"Does Shun sharpen knives for free?
We will sharpen your Shun cutlery for free, for as long as you own it. It's as simple as that. You pay for shipping and processing, and our expert sharpening services are FREE."

Probably worth a call to ask.

This^

Unless there's a cutlery/culinary store around you, or someone that knows how to sharpen and possibly reprofile a blade, I'd look at sending it backwards to the company. Buy a $10 chefs knife in the meantime while the good one is out of commission.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

I will recommend she sent it back to the mother ship. I have sharpened Suns before, but this will require taking a god amount of metal the length of the blade.

I appreciate your advice.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 232 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
How big are the chips in the edge?

Is this a cladded blade/knife meaning stainless on the outside with Japanese blue/white steel in the center? The Japanese super steels are very chippy.

It just sounds like the knife needs to be re-sharpened. This isn’t really rocket science, but if it makes you feel best to send it back to the factory then that’s probably the best call.

On my shuns, I typically put about a 14° edge; very thin and chippy, but that’s what I like on those knives.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I’ve had mine for over 10 years….maybe closer to 15. Daily use and I’ve never had a chip and they’ve stayed as sharp as the day I got them by only using a honing steel. I did neglect the 6” for a while and it got some what dull, but a few passes with my Wicke Sharp and a good polish honing and we were back to day 1 sharp.

All that said, Shune does resharpen. It’s a 16.5 degree bevel.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post