SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Fallkniven recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fallkniven recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I’ve got ESEE‘s, Moras, Gerbers, Cold Steel, Randalls, but I don’t have a fallkniven. Leaning towards the F1. There are a few versions black, stainless, a couple of different types of steel and maybe a couple of different types of sheaths. This will be an all-around knife, Carry in the woods, a little bushcrafting and just general purpose. What’s your recommendation and suggested places to purchase? Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an S-1 with the black coated blade and Zytel sheath. It is a great knife but I would stick to the stainless blade and leather sheath. The coating chips and scratches fairly easily and I just don't like the plastic sheath. The knife is held securely in the sheath but the blade kinda rattles around in it and makes some noise. I bought mine back in 2009 so they might have improved the coating on the blade since then.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My very first stop is always New Graham Knives.

I've been buying from New Graham ever since I've been buying knives. They've never disappointed.

As for what to get: That's a personal decision. All I can do is share with you my experience.

Going with the More Power school of thought, my first "woods knife" was a Fällkniven A1. I quickly found out that such a substantial knife wasn't convenient to carry.

Late last year I finally got around to acquiring the Fällkniven F1 I'd been meaning to get for years. Perfect!

So here's my recommendation: Fallkniven F1 Pilot Survival Knife - Satin Laminated VG-10 Blade - Black Kraton Handle - Full Cover Leather Sheath at NGK.

There are other versions of the F1, with different steels, coatings, different sheaths--or no sheath at all, etc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I've been purchasing through https://cutleryshoppe.com lately.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One knife which seems to get overlooked is the H1. It's the same overall length as the F1 but its blade is a half millimeter thicker, really gives the impression of a stout knife.

It's essentially guardless, so if you don't trust yourself to keep your hand from running up on the blade, the F1 will still be a fine choice.

I own an S1 but I find the handle too small for me. If you're considering an S1, you should make an effort to examine one in person before purchasing.

The A1 and A2 are survival-class knives. The A1 is a real peach. I know that Fallkniven has introduced "Pro" variations of some of their classic knives- F1, A1 and A2 but I've never handled these variants.

The Northern Lights series of knives are lovely- very well-made, but they have gotten to be prohibitively expensive.

If you ask me, the H1 is a superb choice and would serve you well. My only criticism of it is its Zytel sheath, which leaves much to be desired. I'd recommend a quality leather pouch sheath for it. The guardless design lends itself to a pouch sheath.

As for the knives with the black blades- they look really sharp. I have an F1 and S1 in black and they are great collectibles, but if you plan on using your Fallkniven, get the uncoated blade. Fallknivens are convex-ground knives. When you sharpen a convex-ground blade, you are sharpening not just a tiny bevel, you are sharpening a substantial portion of the blade, and that black coating will be half off of your blade before you know it.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Great info everyone. Thank you!

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's a comparison video, F1 versus H1.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
ISTM that guard-less design would not lend itself well to push-cutting?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I like that the H1 is thicker but I do worry about no hand guard. I like the S1 too. Does it come with a leather sheath option?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I like that the H1 is thicker but I do worry about no hand guard. I like the S1 too. Does it come with a leather sheath option?

Yes, it does. Here is an example for sale at KnivesShipFree.

They have several versions with different steels and coatings. If I were buying another one this is the one I would get, nice but not so expensive I would be scared to use it.

Regarding the handle length, I just checked and it is about 1/4 inch shorter than most of my other fixed blade knives. It fits my hand just fine but I am not a large guy, YMMV. If you ever make you way to the southern part of the state you are welcome to check mine out.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Love my F1

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7627 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Great thread that is going to cost me some money. Smile

Hope to soon be buying my first Fallkniven.

I believe I have narrowed my choices to the F1 Pro or the F1x.

They both appear to be more than capable of anything I may put them through.

I have watched several videos and read a few reviews.

Any good, bad or ugly with either of these models I may want to consider?

I always appreciate the experience and opinions the members at SIGforum are willing to share!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've had a F1/3G with 3.8" SGPS/VG2 laminate blade, 1 of 110 made marked “test” since it was offered to some of us for evaluation in 2004.

Great stuff. That said I made the mistake of allowing some grit into a kydex sheath I had made for it which deeply scratched the blade surface. Went back to the leather swing sheath after that.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16138 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch, where'd you get that sheath? Homemade?

Posts: 19972 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
After much consideration, reading of reviews and watching videos, I decided on the F1x, which I hope will arrive this week.

I bought the laminated cobolt steel, not the newer Elmax.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Late to the thread, but I have an H1 in VG10, and love it for a hunting knife.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have or have had a half dozen or so F-1's and many other Fallknivens.

I would strongly recommend for your stated use case that you start out with a Laminated G-10 F-1. It's a superb knife with very good if not "super" steel. I didn't like my black coated version because it's got scuffed up and looked lousy as soon as I started using it. My 3G version does hold an edge longer but it's harder to sharpen and cost twice plus as much.

The S-1 and A-1 are lovely knives but too big for my general use cases. I've field dress and skinned I lost count of how many deer with an F-1. The S-1 and A-1 were too large to be convenient for deer processing. If all I used it for was wood processing and fire making the larger size of the A-1 might be better.

Eventually I'll probably end up with a F-1 in CPM-3V, Elmax or other Hot Rod steel but have to confess that in the Cost/performance ratio they aren't as good as the VG-10 laminated version. I think you could buy a VG-10 Laminated F-1 AND A-1 for the price of one super steel F-1.

Anyway, Start with a F-1, it's kind of Goldilocks size/price/performance knife.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My F1x arrived today. Laminated Cobolt, not Elmax.

Pics to follow.

What an amazing knife.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Hey Butch, where'd you get that sheath? Homemade?

the stamp on it says " Savage made Sheaths Saxis VA"

Look here https://savagesheaths.com/

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7627 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post