SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    My Black Friday Purchase Kitchen knife Trio
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Black Friday Purchase Kitchen knife Trio Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
+++LINK+++

Was the Zyliss Control 3-Piece Knife Set. Bought the set for $33.00 total including then free shipping. Was not expecting to like this set as much as we do. The knives are well balanced have enough weight to aid in chopping and came very sharp. The handles are very well contoured with well thought out grip areas.I have steeled them once for giggles and produced hair popping edges. They are dishwasher safe and are a joy to use. A whole lot of bang for the buck in my opinion. And the blade cut out towards the tip does help with those rocking dicing cuts. Very well pleased indeed.
Added: Just looked at my reciept and the price was $34.95 shipped

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fla. Jim,

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I would spend that in belts grinding these!!!!!!WOW!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
I would spend that in belts grinding these!!!!!!WOW!

Well yes, but these won't be a hand me down item like the ones you make. And I would not put a handmade expensive knife in a dishwasher as these are made to do.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Despite what they say, don't dishwasher them. The hot, blasting water filled with dirt is tough on the edge. And the heat of the drying cycle isn't good for the handles, long term.

They look like a good value.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I'm going to experiment with these in the dishwasher as they are supposed to take it. So far I have not seen a problem. If the handles do degrade or I have to touch up the edges more than I normally do I'll stop. At these prices, if they fade away or require more sharpening effort after the warranty I do have other, better, knives in the wings. ( - =

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with NO dishwasher..... no good outcome at all..

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
There does seem to be several different schools of thought on why a dishwasher would dull knives. Most seem to think it's caused by being mingled with other silverware and bouncing about, others think it's the water pressure. Evidently others think it's the dirt from food. I just bought a new dishwasher that has a top tray that separates all the knives spoons and forks individually. So I will see what water pressure and dirt does as these won't be banging about. Again these are not high carbon blades. Those get hand washed and dried and put away. These are stainless steel that the manufacture says are good to go in the dishwasher. After a bit I'll let you know how the blades and handles hold up to the various dulling water,dirt and heat cycles that may come from the dishwasher. I tend to favor empirical evidence rather than theoretical. If any of you have direct evidence I would like to hear it.

God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Just a update on my El-Cheapo knife set. They all get used almost daily or at least 3-4 times a week. I am still stoked at the quality for the price point. So far I have steeled them when removing from the Dishwasher with no further sharpening required to shave hair. Except for the smallest one, which I did sharpen on a stone once. As the wife insist on cutting cooked meat and such on a plate! Other than that they are a joy to use and the handles look as new. No apparent problems from the dishwasher and I do use the heated dry cycle.

God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Was perusing some old post and realized I had never given a final review. The set was dishwasher cleaned for just before a year had lapsed when I thought I saw a fine crack in the handle on one. It was really hard to see. So I covered it and the other two with fine flour to see. All three handles had micro spider web cracks! So took pics and called up the company. Who replaced the set and did not want the old ones back! So now I have two sets that honestly I have to look hard at to find the cracks in the first pair.I did have to stop using the dishwasher. When that washer died we got a Bosch without a heated drying cycle and have returned them all to dishwasher cleaning for the past few months. To this date I have only had to use a steel to aline the edges for a shaving edge except for the smallest ones. I still can’t seem to stop the wife from cutting on a plate like it was a steak knife. The knives are in constant daily use by a working home cook or two. For a cheap as dirt price these will be hard to beat for the quality of steel and comfort as they are very well balanced and as a rocking cutter they are going to be hard to beat.

posted Hide Post
If you put knives in the dishwasher you have NO cause to complain about cracks in the handle. Great customer service that replaced them anyway.

That being said I still can't get my lady from putting HER knives in the dishwasher after she ruined several hundred dollars worth of custom knives I had. I bought her a cheap set for her own knives and it frustrates me that I can't convinvce her that Knives should NEVER go in the washing machine. Why is this such a hard thing to figure out????? LOL

.......... People have different priorities. Having razor sharp kitchen knives obviously isn't on a lot of peoples list.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Main reason I went with the dishwasher was they were supposed to be made to do that. And that is why they gave me a new set. They have a great replacement policy for their failures. And I would never put a expensive knife in Dishwasher. These are “cheap” and good quality for the money. And the minor hairline cracks have not gotten any bigger in the last two years.

Ps just did a little search and these are made with X50CrMoV15 German steel.
Same as a lot of other well known brands for kitchen prep work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fla. Jim,