SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    (Mostly) retiired EDC knives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(Mostly) retiired EDC knives Login/Join 
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted
3 Twenty+ year old EDC folders:

top: Gerber Applegate Combat Folder – First Production Run 1996 – bought from Col. Rex Applegate @ ’96 NRA Convention – 4.48” blade
bottom: Benchmade Model 650 Boguszewski Spike – 4” blade – bought late ‘80s

Camillus CUDA - 4" - ATS-34 - G-10 -1998

Posts: 3992 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Gerber Applegate Combat Folder – First Production Run 1996 – bought from Col. Rex Applegate @ ’96 NRA Convention –
I'll go ya one better than that. I have one of these first production run ACFs (6000 pieces in the first run). I bought it from the Gerber booth at Blade in Atlanta in 1996, and mine is signed by Col. Rex Applegate. He signed his name on the blade with a Sharpie pen and I imagine that the signature would come off very easily. It needs a shadow box to be displayed, but I just keep it in an old box.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have several Gerbers I got in the late '70s and early '80s I don't carry any more. One is one of the original LSTs from 1980 or so. It isn't a great knife, but there wasn't much like it then. We lived in Portland (near Gerber's location) from 1974 to 1978, and Gerber was getting big in factory knives then - I got interested in them then.

I also have two or three Al Mar Falcons from about the same time. Those are nice gents' knives. They are pretty.

I also have a bunch of common knives from the '70s and on - Buck, Schrade, Uncle Henry, etc., that I don't carry any more. There are a couple of big, heavy Puma folders in there, too.

I've been buying knives for a long time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love that Gerber

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
para, you do need to get a display for that ACF.

Being a signed piece, you have all but cancelled the EDC function. It is now an art object.

Hobby Lobby has some very nice and well priced display cases/shadow boxes.

Posts: 3992 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have one of those Gerbers that I bought second hand some years ago. Doesn't appear to ever been used. I couldn't imagine lugging that thing around as an EDC, it's massive by my standards. Mine has sat in a drawer since purchase.

I really like the look of that CUDA.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
There is no best EDC knife. It is all about personal preference. Ive always loved knives since I was a kid in cub scouts, but didn't start getting serious into them until a couple years ago. I've owned many knives. I have sold many, and bought new ones to replace them. I've owned Kershaws, Spydercos, Bucks, CRKTs, etc.

However, recently I found a knife that I personally love over all my others. It's a Ontario Knife Company Rat I. They usually run about $30, but I got mine brand new for $5 due to a mismarked price tag. It is now my EDC, and never leaves my pocket. It has satisfied my addiction to knife buying as of now!

I was a USA made only guy for a bit, but I learned a knife can be made anywhere in the world as long as the quality control is good.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an ACF that I got while active duty in 99-00ish... love that knife! Still carry from time to time.

Posts: 56 | Location: Alabaster, Alabama | Registered: January 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post