SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Clearly, I need an OTF
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clearly, I need an OTF Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
The internet has convinced me I need an OTF. Think about it. I can't carry cheap Chinese GMRS radios without an expensive knife.

Now, I already have an assisted Kershaw Black Wash, courtesy of a Karma from 226RN, and I have never been a fan of flip open autos, so in the pushbutton realm, only OTF works. I also understand that OTF doesn't mean Auto Stabby Thing, and that there is no penetration with the blade as it's purely an opening mechanism.

I have used the HK OTF, and like it. It seems to be made by Hogue, who also has their own line.

I have looked at Microtech Ultratech knives as well.

I won't buy a Benchmade out of principal.

My preference is for a drop point with some serrations near the handle (Microtech yes, apparently Hogue, no) but that's not a deal breaker. (ETA) I'm not looking for something longer than 3.5 inches or so, this needs to be a pocket clip knife for utility and defense use, not a heavy hunting or work kinfe.

Which is the better knife? I will only be buying one until the bank account is over 7 figures. Are there others I should consider?

Thanks for your help, you bunch of enablers! I love this place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, the good and/or bad news is the serrations pretty much limit you to Microtech on the whole, and I don't know why. If anyone does, please post below. They're about the only one that constantly manufacturers OTFs with serrations.

The Ultratech is a very solid choice. The Tanto serrated might be worth a look as well as their Tanto has a very aggressive angle compared to most. The other thing not mentioned in your post is how big of a knife are you looking for?

The only other knives I can think of that hit your wants is the Guardian Tactical Scout and Recon line ups. They'll be much easier to fire and smoother than the Ultratech and depending on size will also be less expensive.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--G...n-Tactical-USA--2054

No matter which knife you go with unless it's a Heretic Colossus or a Microtech Scarab 2, something that will be a live saver is Dragon Grips Clear Hexagons for extra grips since hardly anyone textures their aluminum scales.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/...4D0A640?ref_=ast_bln

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Original Post edited to add 3.5 inch or so pocket carried knife.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also look at Guardian Tactical

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 240 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I like Hogue knives but their return policy for OTFs is stupid. They offer lifetime sharpening but OTFs have to be sent to them through the dealer you purchased the knife from. Also has to be returned to them when completed. This goes for any repair service also.

Take a look at Guardian Tactical and the Axial Shift.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guardian tactical-good choice, IMO, and I am carrying an 025, tanto, red handle and DLC coated blade today since I am headed to Church in a bit (our Missions week) and a larger one is slightly inconvenient.

In the safe I have an 035 which I like less than the smaller 025, but it is better known. There are larger ones, too, but I have never seen one in person.

Lightnings are available, multiple colors for the bodies, tanto, dagger or drop point blades and serrations, either all the cutting edge or, as I prefer, only partially serrated. I have two, a red and a black and the good part is their price is about $39.95 and, I remind myself every time I buy a Microtech, they seem to work and work and work....

Ultratechs are, for me, very hard to open so I am staying clear of them (on the wagon, so to speak, for a good 5 days now).

I've got a Benchmade coming, but it's from another collector as I try to avoid giving the company or their dealers any of my $.

Hope you find just the one you want, lots to choose from.

Bob

Posts: 1670 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I like my Guardian Tactical Recon a lot more than my Microtech Ultratech. The action feels better, the factory edge is definitely better, and they use normal Torx fasteners which makes opening it up to clean out any gunk that might accumulate in there easier. I've got the Recon 35 which is a very handy sized 3.5 inch blade.

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Something I noticed is that Guardian Tactical has a new model in the Scout lineup that would be perfect for you:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--...l-Black-Serr--194594

Originally, the Scout came out last year with a Carbon Fiber inlay and cost around $400. This new model linked above has a textured aluminum scale with everything else the same for $275. It even has 3 carbide ball bearings at the rear to act as a glassbreaker instead of the wart sticking out of a Microtech or Hogue.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. That Guardian Scout looks really nice.

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Another OTF that gets good reviews is the Kershaw Livewire.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The Scout is a kickass looking OTF. Please let us know how you like it.

Posts: 5224 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I hate it when I see these threads, I too am in NEED of an OTF.
Don't know why I have never got one? Frown

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, good on them for finally making one in the Ultratech form factor, but a giant thumbs down for asking an extra $125 for a plain edge over the partially serrated. Ugh.

Posts: 17571 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/7790027005

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5189 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Well, good on them for finally making one in the Ultratech form factor, but a giant thumbs down for asking an extra $125 for a plain edge over the partially serrated. Ugh.

If you're talking about the Scout, they don't charge an extra $125 for a plain edge unless you want one with Carbon Fiber scales. This guy is the same $275 as the serrated is.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--...-Al-Black-SW--194593

I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
Another OTF that gets good reviews is the Kershaw Livewire.

I have a Kershaw Livewire. It is a great knife. Mine does not have any serrations on the blade, I realize that is a personal preference, as my previous assisted opening knife did have them...and I don't miss the serrations.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 517 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up yet another Microtech. No regrets at all. Sits in my uniform pocket kind of weird, but I can deal with it.

Next is probably going to be the Guardian Tactical or a Heretic

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8506 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
After getting one of the newer dual spring Microtechs, I see very little reason to go with a Guardian Tactical. The Guardians are hard to find and with few exceptions are very slick. Heretic has also started making the Manticore with Frag milling on the scales.