SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    taking apart your folders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

taking apart your folders Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
Some of you have mentioned taking apart your folding knives to clean lint and such out of the works. I've never done it and don't know what types of springs and such might be inside or under load...

Is there a website with instructions for various types or a favorite youtube channel with some videos of this - or is it so simple I should just take it apart without worrying ??

Thanks,

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Every model will be different so I'd suggest searching youtube.
I just blow mine out with compressed air and work a drop or so of oil into the moving parts.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're even halfway mechanically-inclined, most basic folding knives shouldn't present any trouble. It's usually a matter of a few screws and a couple washers. If you get confused, you can usually find disassembly/reassembly guides on YouTube by just searching that brand and model of knife.

Knives with spring mechanisms, like assisted-opening or auto knives, can be trickier. But even then, there are still usually YouTube tutorials for the more popular brands/models.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you taking apart?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13385 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you're even halfway mechanically-inclined, most basic folding knives shouldn't present any trouble. It's usually a matter of a few screws and a couple washers. If you get confused, you can usually find disassembly/reassembly guides on YouTube by just searching that brand and model of knife.

Knives with spring mechanisms, like assisted-opening or auto knives, can be trickier. But even then, there are still usually YouTube tutorials for the more popular brands/models.

+1
My dragonfly took itself 3/4 apart. You'd think the screw would have been in my pocket,but no. Spyderco got me the correct screw in 2 days at Christmas and a little reasoning got it back together. With locktite this time.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1115 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
As crazy as it sounds, my buddy will open his Benchmade knives and wash them in a dishwasher about once a year. He then rinses then in fresh water, blows dry them with compressed air, followed by a dip in (I think) CLP. Once compete, wipes off the excess and hones the blades (or sharpens as required).

This is also the same gut who'll bury his Glock in dirt at the range, pull it free, open the slide, blow out the barrel, then start shooting. Why? Cause he saw it done once. (I move away from him when he does this)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
OP: check Nick Shabazz' YouTube channel. Nick has reviewed many, many folders and always does a separate video detailing disassembly/reassembly of each. Simply go to his channel and search for the particular knife/knives you may have questions about. That's exactly how I learned to do it myself. BTW, he also has a video about the tools he uses to disassemble/reassemble.

Edit: Don't be put off by his "shtick" accent....he really knows his stuff.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Just watched Shabazz take apart the ZT0460 that I have. Looks easy enough - I think I'll do it tonight when I get home.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Did the ZT0460 without too much effort.
Did my Leek and a spring popped out, but got it all back together.

Looked at videos and comments on my SOG Twitch II and they all said DO NOT take this knife apart - so I didn't.

The ZT wasn't too dirty. The leek was oldest, and was very crusty inside.

------------------
SBrooks

posted Hide Post
There was a story of one factory trying to adjust a customers automatic. The knife worker almost had a spring take him out. Evidently with some knives you have to be very careful or you will get hurt. Just a random heads up.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post