SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Question For Members in Auto-Legal States
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question For Members in Auto-Legal States Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
PA Governor Wolf recently signed legislation removing automatic knives from the state's prohibited offense weapons list. Effective January 02, 2023 the manufacture, sale and possession of automatic knives in PA will be legal. For those of you living in states which have also repealed restrictive auto-knife laws, did legalization have a tremendous effect on the knife market in your state? Did sporting goods stores begin stocking automatic knives in earnest? Since this story has received very little attention in the press, I'm beginning to suspect auto-knives are a niche product which appeal to a small percentage of consumers. I'd be curious to hear your experiences. Thanks.

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I didn’t see any real difference & REC (Rivers Edge Cutlery) is :30 from me.
I visit frequently but bought both my OTFs on line as selection was better & the only place I could find the combination I was looking for.
For me the legislation was just a green light to carry.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Yes, when we legalized cool knives local shops seemed quick to offer what they could from the big makes, prices sometimes inflated.

Still, it's awesome. I need a new switchblade to replace my LUDT.

Switchblades are awesome, congratulations.

I carried one even when I wasn't supposed to.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I can finally get an auto. My first will be a Microtech 123-1T

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Most stores that carried a good selection of better knives started carrying some autos. Therese are often Microtech, Boker, and Benchmade. Some of the bigger, dedicated knife stores will have other brands as well. It is, judging by the space they allot, not a huge slice of their sales.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This legislation is welcome and I have been doing some research into OTF auto’s as many great suggestions have been offered on the pages of this forum (thanks everyone!).

I am pretty sure that I ‘need’ one ‘just because’ and Guardian Tactical is currently at top of the list.

Posts: 3462 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Maine legalized autos a few years back. The "surplus stores" went crazy pulling in every auto they could at first, but have slowly reduced their stock to the better selling lines.

Big stores were hit or miss, sometimes carrying auto versions of lines they already carried.

The smaller "tactical" shops were the best bet for a decent selection of quality autos (or the most willing to order it).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They’ve been legal here in Texas for around 10 years or so. Not sure of exactly how long. I carry a Pro-Tech TR3 daily, though I sometimes rotate in a LUDT. Just retired at mid month so now that I don’t have to wear work clothes I can carry heavier knives. I have a Gerber 06 as well that I carry every now and then.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the fine print, Louisiana allows auto knives but has some very wordy language in the laws. Google your state laws then make up your mind!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post