SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    USMC Ka Bar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USMC Ka Bar Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I've been itching for a nice fixed blade knife. Who owns one of these? What are the pros and cons? Where is the best place to order from? As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Iv'e bought my Becker's from these folks...easy as pie.

https://www.tomarskabars.com/

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Don't have that knife but have bought 4 other ones from Tomar's that prepsheriff linked to and will also add that it was a good experience. Wouldn't hesitate to order another.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I have had a KaBar since the late 80s and love it. To me, it is the fixed blade I want when the SHTF.
It’s taken a licking over the years, but a few years ago I sent it off the Albert at Seattle Edge and he made it almost better than new.

Only real con, IMHO is the factory sheath kinda sucks. Otherwise, it’s awesome. Unless you count being a big ass knife as a con. Big Grin

I generally look on Blade HQ or Amazon (of all places) for knives.

Looks like Amazon is the cheapest when you factor in shipping (if you’re a Prime member).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...huc_clickstream_1_dp
And it’s actually sold by KaBar.

Sheath worth picking up as well...
https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-...Sheath/dp/B000Q9C9B8
I got mine as a leather sheath in the south is asking for trouble.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I just do a search for the best shipped price.

Posts: 9439 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I have two USMC KA-BAR's one is engraved Honoring our Veterans of the Vietnam War black blade. the other one is just a USMC plan black blade.I have never used either so far.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed Ka Bar Knives whether it is the look, tradition, history etc..

Most of the fixed blade knives I own have a blade around 4-5 inches or even smaller. I found these blades work better for me especially since I am usually slated as the driver whether it be an up armored Humvee or MRAP.

I was happy to see that Kabar offers the 3/4 size black Tactical Tanto with a 5 1/4" blade.

I am also intrigued by the KA-BAR #2221 MARK 1 Black Tactical Straight Edge Knife.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
I have had a KaBar since the late 80s and love it. To me, it is the fixed blade I want when the SHTF.
It’s taken a licking over the years, but a few years ago I sent it off the Albert at Seattle Edge and he made it almost better than new.

Only real con, IMHO is the factory sheath kinda sucks. Otherwise, it’s awesome. Unless you count being a big ass knife as a con. Big Grin

I generally look on Blade HQ or Amazon (of all places) for knives.

Looks like Amazon is the cheapest when you factor in shipping (if you’re a Prime member).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...huc_clickstream_1_dp
And it’s actually sold by KaBar.

Sheath worth picking up as well...
https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-...Sheath/dp/B000Q9C9B8
I got mine as a leather sheath in the south is asking for trouble.

Now that's what I like to hear! It looks like it can be ordered with the kydex sheath. Is it really that much better than the leather sheath?

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Realistically, only in the aspect of the leather holster attracting moisture in a humid, hot climate. Otherwise it’s fine as it.

As long as you don’t store the knife in it, most likely your good to go.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Ordered from Amazon. I went with the original leather sheath. I watched a video on YouTube where a guy put O rings over the grooves in the handle. Has anyone here done that?

posted Hide Post
I've had three over time; current one residing in the nightstand in its leather sheath is from the USMC Exchange at Quantico, VA. An earlier one was an Iwo Jima Commemorative sitting in a shop with no box; $40. I grabbed it, and gifted it to a Marine brother. Keep an edge on it, should last a long while in your kit.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have a CaseXX Kabar made in 1994. I used to leave it in the car, but found that the leather handle got really dry and rough feeling. Not sure If I had to keep it oiled or conditioned, but I since took it back inside the house.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 5" Kabar that my daughter gave me, she bought it someplace in San Antonio TX.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Being a Marine, it’s almost expected to own one. I have one, and it has been used and abused. I used it just last week, as a camping implement, a cooking utensil, and let a group of teenagers throw it at a tree. I believe it caught on fire one point. Lol.

Probably my pride and joy, is my son’s “surrogate” grandfather gave my son the Ka-Bar he carried as a Marine in Vietnam. It was a gift for my son’s 14th birthday. I put it in a shadow box, with some medals and pictures of my friend. My son said it was the best gift he has ever received.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I just received it on Monday. I gave it my OCD white glove inspection and am very happy with it. I did notice some differences between this one and the one I owned about 20 years ago.

-My old one came in a white box with a diagram of the knife. This one came in a dark brown box.
-This one seems a bit lighter (in weight) than the old one.
-The old one had the top part of the end of the clip point sharpened. This one doesn't.
-This one has a shiny pin holding the butt cap on. I don't remember seeing that on the old one.
-I didn't notice any difference in between the old and new leather sheaths.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Another favorite, Ontario Mk3 Navy.

https://ontario-knife-store.co...k-3-dive-knife-6141/

Posts: 9439 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Another favorite, Ontario Mk3 Navy.

https://ontario-knife-store.co...k-3-dive-knife-6141/

Got one not long after 9/11. Much heavier than the Ka-Bar, but a fine blade.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Here's one of my KA-BAR fixed blade.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Just received mine from the original knife company.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I still have this discontinued KABAR model. A great blade in D2 steel.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post