SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Your first knife
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your first knife Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I was maybe 8 or 10 years old, Mom and Dad went on a trip to Canada and left me and my little brother home with our Great Aunt to babysit.

Dad brought me back a Barlow knife, and I promptly cut my finger with it. Amazingly, Mom didn't insist that it be taken away from me, just told me to learn from it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My Great-Uncle Jack gave me a Barlow when I was probably 6 or so. I think I lost it right away. Frown

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My dad bought me a Victorinox Boy Scout Swiss Army knife when I was around 10. I got home, pulled it out of the box and promptly sliced my thumb open. I was sitting in the kitchen and was so afraid my dad would take it away from me that I just sat there with my hand in my lap gripping my thumb until it stopped bleeding.

I don’t still have it. I lost it after I went to boot camp and my dad gave a bunch of my stuff away and turned my bedroom into an office.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I had a Cub Scout knife like the one a couple posts back. Lost it over the years. The oldest one I still have is the Uncle Henry trapper that my grandpa gave me sometime in my teen years. I don't carry it anymore, as I don't want to lose it.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I really don't remember what was my first knife, it was probably a folder like a cub scout knife. My Dad was a knife guy, as well as my Grandfather. I'm pretty sure I was around 7-8, we used to fish and I lived around some woods.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An Ulster Boy Scout knife, given to me by my Dad. Closed it once on my knuckle (only once). Still have it. Still have my Tote-n-Chip card too.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was either a Queen, or Case small two or three blade pocket knife. I had both, but can't remember which was first.
There was a hardware store downtown close to my dad's office, and we'd walk over there sometimes when he took me to work with him. They had a rotating rack full of pocketknives, and a large whetstone that was dished out from a lot of customer use... I thought that was the coolest thing in the world.

My dad was not a gun/knife kind of guy, but he knew I was interested in pocketknives, so he got me my first one when I was somewhere around 8 years old, or so.

I don't have that first (or second, third, etc) knife, but I've never gone a day since then without at least one pocket knife on me....

Posts: 9 | Registered: December 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, I don't remember. I can almost remember, but it just won't crystallize. One of the first was a fairly inexpensive sheath knife, five- or six-inch blade and leather sheath. Used it as a tackle box knife, even though it would be more reasonably a hunting knife.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first knife was one that I found on a family fishing trip when we lived in Rapid City. I was probably 7 or 8 years old at the time. It has a fixed blade, stag handle, with a leather sheath. I gave it to my son when he started hunting.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
My first knife was a victorianox swiss army knife.

I got it by collecting marlboro cigarette boxes when they had the "marlboro miles" redemption program.

My parents owned a bar and I had more miles then I knew what to do with. Ended up with almost everything they offered in triplicate at least.

The knife just stuck with me. As a 13 year old I carried it everywhere until I reached my mid twenties and learned about higher quality blades.

I still have it 30 years later.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
the first knife i really recall was a small Uncle Henry stockman given to me by my grandfather on my first day working for him. my family owns a construction and rental business, so i was working at a young age. i was 8 or 9, cleaning up and basically getting in the way. i think it broke his heart when i didn't become a carpenter. i like steel better.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
It was a Cub Scout knife [late-50's] with blue scales, if I remember correctly. Either a Camillus, or Imperial make.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Schrade Old Timer.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Dad bought mine for me when I was eight or so.
Pretty sure it was one of these Sears jack knives:

Wish I still had it, or at least remember what happened to it. I probably traded it for something at the playground black market.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Scoutmaster of the Boyscout troop I joined when I was 11 years old, he gave me a BoyScout jackknife with bottle/can opener, leather punch/reamer.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
a "hunting knife" with fake bone handle and sharp as frack.

Took it to a scout type camping event and sliced my hand open cutting a piece of sugar cane. Counselor took me to get stitches...

I have no idea what ever happened to that knife. I think i must have left it home when I went to college and I need to go look through my dad's shop and stuff to see if it's around.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post