SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Your first knife
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your first knife Login/Join 
posted
What was it? How did you acquire it? Do you still have it? I’m only half certain that my father gave me my first knife. I don’t remember much about it other than it was a slip joint. I wish I could.

Posts: 887 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Small Queen Stockman my dad gave me 54 years ago.

Posts: 5690 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swiss Army Explorer knife. My dad gave it to me over 30 years ago. I still have it, though I don't carry it anymore due to sentimental reasons. At some point I had the scales replaced with rosewood.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
First knife I bought for myself was an Old Timer in 1963 when in the fifth grade. Saved up my $.50 weekly allowance until I could afford it. I'm sure I paid less than five dollars for it and think it was less than two dollars. No idea whatever happened to that knife. May not have been my first knife but that's the one I remember.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My first ever knife was actually a $5 junk Swiss army style knife I got from Chinatown Maybe when I was 8 years old.

My first "good" knife was a Mini SAK that my mom bought for me maybe a year or two later.
I still have it somewhere in the house.
I still remember the day we went to the cutlery store in the mall and I got to choose it.

Watching MacGyver growing up had a big influence when it came to my interests in knives. Having the Swiss Army knife with the most features was a big goal growing up.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad took me to a feed store and let me pick out a Case small 3 blade from the upright display case. I was on cloud 9 all the way home.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My first knife was my cub scout knife. I don't have it any longer. Not sure what happened to it. It was the model with the blade, awe, Can opener and screwdriver / bottle opener.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Slip-joint Case, gift from my dad the Christmas after I joined the Boy Scouts. Still have it, has a lot of wear after 60 years of ham-handed over-sharpening.

I probably owned a few smaller knives before that one, but nothing memorable. The wretch that I am I do remember being disappointed because I'd been eying a Buck lock back for a few months in the Tehran PX/commissary.

Posts: 6391 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
My first knife was a Christmas present to me from my father, I think. I still have it. It's sort of a "cowboy" knife: 4-1/2" fixed blade, antler bone handled, with quillons (hand guards) and an edge that to this day is razor-sharp. It has a (cheap) leather sheath with a belt loop.

I imagine you could find a similar knife in the souvenir shops of some of the national parks. It isn't fancy, it isn't branded, it isn't historic. It looks something like this (not my knife):

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Still have it and still carry it everyday. I think it's called the "Ambassador" model Swiss Army knife. I got it from my aunt Marjorie, when I was eight. She is long gone, but I am very glad that this knife has stayed with me. Really, there have been moments of "ejector pockets" and low, little cars and worry that it was gone, but thank goodness it has stayed with me. Have lost the toothpick, however. It is so old (five decades) that the replacement one didn't actually fit very well and if you told me the original toothpick was made of something other than plastic, I wouldn't argue. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Camillus two blade, that the Moorman feed salesman gave to me as swag in the late 60s or early 70s. I remember how proud I was when my dad told me it was good steel because it darkened so quickly. I still have it.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I started out with an Old Timer pocket knife hand-me-down. The first one I ever bought was a Shrade fixed blade, and then moved on to the the one knife every man should own, the Buck 110.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
My Dad bought me the original red Victorinox do all knife. I still have it, it sits on my dresser.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad bought me a cold steel lock blade at the local gun show . After 5 years of keeping up with it he bought me a Benchmade mini grip at the gun show . I still carry it a lot some 20 years later!

Posts: 106 | Location: BRP,NC | Registered: January 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
My Dad bought me the original red Victorinox do all knife. I still have it, it sits on my dresser.

Photo, please ! Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
It was my Cub Scouts knife. I was in the third grade.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My grandparents gave me a Cub Scout knife. I was 8 or 9.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
We were stationed in Germany (c. 1951-2) I was 4 or 5 and my dad gave me one of these...

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Here is mine.

I remember when my Father gave it to me, on a trip to Kelley's Island.

It was a surprise and I was so damn excited.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
My grandparents gave me a Cub Scout knife. I was 8 or 9.

My first knife as well. It was given to me as a Christmas gift from my parents. I still have it. I just retrieved it from my sock drawer and took this picture.

What they look like new.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post