SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    General use ESEE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

General use ESEE Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello!

I’m wanting to purchase a general use ESEE but I’m not sure which of their models would be best. Duties would include general camping use, self defense, hunting, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many pages here with good info on ESEE knives

SIGForum ESEE Search

Posts: 1048 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Jim

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The 3 or 4 in 1095 would be my pick for what you're needing.
I also have a 5 (sharpened pry bar) and a 6 which is on par with a mil spec Ka-Bar. Both are pretty large knives that are more special purpose than the 2 smaller versions.
The one I have found most useful for me is the Xancudo. It's only a 3" blade but it's S35VN and razor sharp after lots of hard use. It rides in my pack for every hike and camping trip.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Ryan I have been wanting one of those, looks like a useful blade shape. I currently have an Izula and 4, and am also eyeing a 3HM.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim! General consensus on the forum (and USAF SERE) is an ESEE 4 (both non-serrated), with an Izula II as a handy companion blade. I’m the outlier with an Izula II + Laser Strike in that order. Several members in multiple threads tend to agree the 3 is a bit thin for the uses you mentioned and models about the 4 are too heavy/big for the kind of camp knife role you envision. (Again, I’m weird and like the Laser Strike over the 4.)

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I don’t have every model of ESEE knife, but I’m close.

The only ones that get used regularly are the 4, the Junglas, the Xancudo and the Zancudo folder. The Zancudo folder has been my pocket knife for several years now and when they released the fixed blade it replaced my Izula for edc.

If I was only going to own one it would be the 4.

The Zancudo folder isn’t a true ESEE knife, it’s just their design, but it’s still a solid little knife.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Hello again!

Went ahead and bought the ESEE 4.

Thank you!

Jim

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Anyone have both a Xancudo and 3HM? I’m not a fan of the choils on the standard Esee line.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hard to go wrong with a 4 as a starter.
From an Izula on up, they all serve a slightly different purpose.
They aren't all that expensive as quality knives go so buy a couple throughout the range and see what you like.

Posts: 9439 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post