SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Glock Field Knife ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Field Knife ?? Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
Who knew? Obvious a lot of people as they have been making them since the 70's Looks like they are still in production. What say Yea is this the "Glock" of Field/Camp knives? It's made of 1095 steel coated or treated 7" blade and hardened to 55 hardness. Would be easy to sharpen, but edge retention? Anyone use one or the other?

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have one- the Model 78- which is the lower one in that photo. Actually, these began life as bayonets for the Steyr AUG. There's a hole in the pommel, which Glock has sealed semi-permanently on the commercial version. The hole was for attaching the bayonet to the rifle.

Believe it or not, these knives make fairly decent bushcrafting tools. They're very tough knives. The saw on the Model 81 is good for making notches in wood.

Also, if you needed a plain old pig sticker, these knives would do the job quite well.

I think I paid 29 bucks for mine about 10 or 12 years ago. They're probably a bit more than that now, but, still, these knves are a bargain.

For a budget emergency/survival kit, pair up one of these blades with Glock's Entrenching Tool.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Para: "For a budget emergency/survival kit, pair up one of these blades with Glock's Entrenching Tool."

Another good choice and one I have not even considered For my emergency car tool selection. I have a fixed blade small shovel but this thing covers multiple uses and is smaller to boot. Thanks for the heads up.
Good review here.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely postings; I'm looking around for another knife a little more svelte than my old fashioned Ka-bar. The Glock knife seems styled much like the M7 bayonet as far as the blade. And given my chintzy mil-spec in appearance e-tool is junk, may have to check that out also.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I bought a few. Wink

Wish I'd taken a better picture way back when. They all got sent to a Marine unit in Iraq a long time ago now. It was over $800 worth wholesale. That was the top layer of a fairly deep box. I still have one, they're surprisingly nice handling knives, though I haven't done all that much cutting with it.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had mine for a long time now. They are a nice knife for the price I paid, think it was $20 when I bought it. Now they go for around $34.00 or so, and are still not bad at that price.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Ok this Dude comes off initially a "Bit" geared for a 4 yr old audience. But he does exceed any Forged in fire testing criteria of the 81. Waaay beyond anything life would throw at it. Excellent blade torture test. And remember Don't try this at home...And safety first....LOL

PS Just ordered a black handle 81. Just seems to good a deal to pass up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fla. Jim,

God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Got the G81 knife today. Feels very good in the hand, good balance,and a very nice point. I was a little disappointed in the edge as only from the tip back about 1.5” was decently sharp. But tomorrow and a little edge profiling will fix that. Very solid and well made blade and handle. Fit and finish are exceptional at this price point. Also the sheath being made of the Glock plastic with a built in retention holder should last forever. Glad I ran across it.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Very similar to the M3 "trench knife".

Need to check these out...still under $40 on amazon

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^I gave up looking for a new G78 field knife (lots of G81s out there, except in black it seems); and ordered an M3 trench knife from Ontario instead.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post