SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Boot Knife?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boot Knife? Login/Join 
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted
i am playing around with several EDC/boot knife type knives right now. just curious if anybody still carries a boot knife. i have always thought they were a fun style to make.

dozer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s1hff9FBw7iKcEzb9

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forget the knife, those are some wicked looking boots!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
The Gryphon M-10 fits the bill nicely. I have one and I like it.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I don't carry a boot knife but it's size and style has been a favorite of mine. I think the best ever design was by Bob Loveless, here's one I own.

Another in my collection, first custom I ever ordered (1991), maker was Steve Huey.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These were made by Othello in Solingen, Germany for, I believe Kershaw. Later on, they were replicated in China.
They are handy, sharp, and made in one piece of steel.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
very nice examples, indeed. i used to like to make a few different models in this general direction, but haven't touched on it much in recent years. i like to keep things interesting here on the knife farm.

dozer

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i just finished this one recently. i like the small bowie designs for a boot knife.

dozer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dpXHgSFZUE6VwKNPA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6AvpEC9QYxSeRW2ZA

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
That's nice, certainly a different take on a boot knife. Most are slim for carrying in a boot and drawing easily, what will your sheath look like?

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
yeah, that's what this is. a small 7.0" bowie style. the sheath is in the pic. little leather sheath with a spring clip. the whole rig fits very easily in all the boots i own. just a downsized bowie knife. i might add some facets to the handle, though. it is actually a bit slick, so it might need some tweaking for a solid grip.

dozer

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I don't carry a boot knife but it's size and style has been a favorite of mine. I think the best ever design was by Bob Loveless, here's one I own.

Another in my collection, first custom I ever ordered (1991), maker was Steve Huey.

Are there versions like these available to buy anywhere?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Ek boot knife shown bottom right among my Ek collection. Top knife originally came with the white handle slabs (bottom right) that I replaced with cocobolo ones I carved.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:

Are there versions like these available to buy anywhere?

I don't really know what's available in the production market, many custom makers offer a boot dagger. A good place to look would be Blade Forums under Knifemakers Market- Fixed Blades. I did a quick search and found several from good makers.

posted Hide Post
This dagger was recently offered by Phillip Paton on Bladeforums. It's larger but it shows the style he's made.

https://www.bladeforums.com/th...33220/#post-21980473

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post