SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Fixed blade knife for use around the yard and house
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed blade knife for use around the yard and house Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
$50-60 budget. Cutting rope, string, maybe small runners and shoots as I come across them, general stuff around the shed and garage. I have a couple of folders, but I'm liking the idea of a FB.

Recs?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
morakniv
https://www.amazon.com/Morakni...rpener/dp/B078WZKKB3

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Been very happy with this one. A few bucks under your budget too. Eafengrow EF124 Fixed Blade

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Pyker you are in Minnesota if you have a L&M fleet supply near you go check them out. They have a nice selection of knives fixed and folders. Buck, Gerber, etc all moderately priced. I bought a fixed blade Buck knife there years ago and it has served me well, American made to boot which is why I chose it. It sits on the work bench in the pole barn. For the tasks you describe I prefer a flipper style folder myself.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
2nd the Morakniv.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m a proponent of having a 5 gallon bucket of Mora Companions for use around the house.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have a Mora Companion for that. Cheap, easy to sharpen.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mora. These knives are one of the few inexpensive things still around that actually work.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakni...6-inch/dp/B0728J49TM

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, Mora. These knives are one of the few inexpensive things still around that actually work.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakni...6-inch/dp/B0728J49TM

Thanks for the link on these!! Never heard of these knives before. I saw your reccomendation on Saturday and figured I'd give one a try for $12. It showed up in the mail today and I'm extremely impressed!! I've already ordered another for myself and couple more to give as gifts.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 585 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hor...011&ref=sr_nr_p_72_1
Hori Hori knife.
I picked up a gerber or fiskars at Home Depot but I also have a Tradional one from bespoke post. Very handy and durable.

Moras are great too. I’ve got about 25 of them.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I use a couple of Moras, the stainless in my black powder range bag for cutting patches, the carbon one for general purpose around the house and yard. Not fancy, but they get the job done.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Can't beat the Moraknivs, but take a look at Condor if you decide you want something in the same category but designed differently.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Morakniv Garberg...mine came in today Smile

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post