SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Need an Automatic Knife Primer: Which One?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need an Automatic Knife Primer: Which One? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
I have quite a few nice folders and fixed knives and most are decent aka not the cheapies.

So the question is that I want to get a nice auto knife and not just an auto-folder.

I guess Microtech are some of the best.
I don't mind paying a few hundred for something decent but this may will get some occasional use and not desiring a $1K "collectable" at this point.

Any thing I need to know of some models or brands I should look at?

thank

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Microtech does make a very well built auto. They are not cheap, and are arguably overpriced. Still, they are well made, and OTFs, in particular, are fussy and hard to make consistently. If you don't love yours, you can sell it without too much of a loss.

Heretic also makes good knives at a slightly lower price than Microtech. I think Heretic is run by the son of the Microtech guy, so he knows these knives.

Benchmade makes a few. Also expensive and Benchmade is persona non grata in my book.

Protech makes some nice side openers. I do not know if they make any OTFs.

Hogue makes some. They seem solid to me, but a little clunky.

Boker makes a lot autos in both side openers and OTFs. They are decidedly less expensive, and reported to be good knives. I haven't handled any.

Here are the OTF offerings from Blade HQ. There are lots.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--O...Front-Automatics--41

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Another thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4910019184

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Another thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4910019184

thanks

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heretic

I have a Heretic OTF knife. I bought it at a gun show a few years ago. I had never heard of them. Seemed like a good knife. My first and only OTF knife. It was a impulse purchase. I am happy with it.

John

Posts: 113 | Registered: April 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johns961:
quote:
Heretic

I have a Heretic OTF knife. I bought it at a gun show a few years ago. I had never heard of them. Seemed like a good knife. My first and only OTF knife. It was a impulse purchase. I am happy with it.

John

Those look pretty good on their site.
Which one did you get? Cool

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends gifted me a couple Protech auto knives for Christmas and birthday presents.

They're very nice, IMO. The smaller of the two is my current EDC.

I also have a Benchmade Coalition (I realize they're mostly persona non grata 'round these parts) and a Boker Mini-AKS.

TBH: That little Boker Mini-AKS might be the handiest of them all, in some ways.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago Colorado removed the restrictions on automatic knives after many years of prohibition; now simply treated as any other pocket knife. I have always carried a pocket knife and like to have good quality equipment, decided to get into the new game. Caught a great deal on a Boker 'Magnum', rock solid 3.5" built to last with good stainless blade that holds an edge quite well.

A few months later I was planning a road trip that included 5 states. Went on-line to research knife laws and found that there is a great deal of variation. Automatics (switch-blades in the old parlance) are prohibited in many cities and states, and simple possession may be treated as a felony in some places. Blade length limitations are all over the charts.

I left the Boker at home, took an old Gerber lock-blade with me.

My point is that there is no simple standard that will apply anywhere or everywhere you may go. What is perfectly legal for me here in Colorado could easily put me in serious legal jeopardy somewhere else.

Please be absolutely sure that whatever you choose does not place you in need of attorneys or bail bondsmen, especially when travelling.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Went on-line to research knife laws and found that there is a great deal of variation. Automatics (switch-blades in the old parlance) are prohibited in many cities and states, and simple possession may be treated as a felony in some places. Blade length limitations are all over the charts.

Yup. That's why I have a simple Spiderco lock-back with a 2-1/2 in. blade.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by johns961:
quote:
Heretic

John

Those look pretty good on their site.
Which one did you get? Cool

They do not appear to have model numbers on the box. My box says D2 Tool Steel. Tanto Serrated.
Their communication seems to be less then desirable. I sent them an email with a simple question. I never got a reply from them.

Posts: 113 | Registered: April 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Ok, I love auto knives. Some of the brands that I can recommend are Piranha, GT, German Bokers, Paragon, Hogue, Microtec as mentioned, Paragon, Robbie Dalton, Kershaw and of course Benchmade if you support a company that gives to gun grabbers!
A pic of my auto collection, have since sold off many of my Benchmades.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post