SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What's the point of lanyards on pocket knives?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the point of lanyards on pocket knives? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I like the snake's head knots. Thanks for the photo!

Gotta try it soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9LzgGVxEZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vOmwtpPdM

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I use the snake's head knot in most of my lanyards for fixed blade knives. Also, it's a great knot when you want to put a fob on your ferro rod.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking knot and after watching the You Tube (what else?) not hard to make. Thanks.

Posts: 549 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Lanyards are a way to personalize your carry. There's a wide-selection of paracord styles available. I'm kind of in the 'less is more school' of adornment. The cord on my 4 MAX is dubbed "Comanche" by the seller.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Anyone here use lanyard points to dummy cord stuff to yourself when in remote areas, or on the water? I’m interested in what cordage you prefer. Gutted paracord is still pretty bulky, and heavy test braided fishing line is unforgiving.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw this thread so I am late to the party again.

I have a knife, a Model 940 Benchmade knife I've had since either 1998 or 1999, and the first knife I've ever had that I didn't lose somewhere along the line (I'll never buy another one from Benchmade, though).

I also have two OTFs that open easily, smoothly and fast.

All of them have lanyards tied by Gary Graley (my arthritis just won't let me tie-I wear slip on shoes for that reason).

I carry one of those knives in my right front pocket, with the lanyard outside my pants. I can grab it and get it out and ready to use pretty quickly. I use my knife probably 10-15 times daily. In the past I used it a lot more, as many at 25-30. I don't know how one works, diddles around the house, fixes things or opens things without a handy, easy to access, knife.

For me, the lanyard is a necessity, and is simply a part of my knife.

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a lanyard on my boat rigging knife.

If it slips while I am using it or falls out of my pocket it does not go overboard.

Not going into the water trying to dive after a sinking knife.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
About ten or eleven years ago, I posted a review of a knife defense class I took, long since pruned from the forum. The instructor felt the best way to teach knife defense was to teach students how to fight with knives, and then learn the various defenses against that particular attack.

One of his statements that I'll never forget was that if we ever encountered a knife attacker with a lanyard on their knife that we were up against a skilled knife fighter...although he never demonstrated any lanyard techniques. He did mention that lanyards were more commonly observed in Asian knife fights or disciplines.

Obviously lanyards have other, more common uses, as evidenced in this thread.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
BeholdABlackwolf expounds upon lanyard knife fighting.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Got a bead for the Microtech, tied it up in the middle of a workout! LoL
Love the cutout design!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Dayum, Grumpy, thst is one sweet 0560.

Okay, now I gotta find me one!

They are nice.
I’ve yet to decide on a lanyard bead for the blue daily carry one.

The 560 was my go to edc. So much so I had three of them. I sold the third one which was still new in the box to someone here when the 452 (which is the bottom one) became my go to edc. Unfortunately, I left a limited edition 452 at a steak place. At least I have this and another one still in the box.

Interestingly enough, these 560s are the only two out of three knives I have that have lanyards.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I’m up to three as well .
Great knife, I hunt the ones with the lockbar inserts .
Actually removed the blue anodizing off the one.
Found I really didn’t like it. I have a few more lanyard beads on the way for the others.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

The knife on top was a gift from friend. It's in McHenry Williams Benchmade 710. As far as I'm concerned it's Irreplaceable. The red lanyard is in case I drop it in the grass.

Life on the bottom is a common Buck 110 LT. The lanyard is just a pull to get it out of my pocket

Remember Me When You Look At The Night Sky

Posts: 10 | Registered: January 26, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
My latest creations:

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post