SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What's the point of lanyards on pocket knives?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the point of lanyards on pocket knives? Login/Join 
posted
I mean, they look nice in the photos that get posted, but do they serve any useful function or is it just aesthetics? Not criticizing, but curious.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
My friend likes to carry his knives deep in his pocket, as opposed to clipped to the top. He dangles the lanyard out, making it easy to pull out.

I just ordered a lanyard for my new knife so I can try it.

And, it does look cool.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2827 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The same point as on sheath knives. So you don't lose them. More when the knife is out and being used. I like the answer from the guy who wants to try it. Both sheath and pocket knives have a problem on a lanyard. It tends to make the knife come back at you if you've dropped it and its attached at your end.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think I’m going to try it with my PM2. The problem with pocket clips it you end up wearing a hole in your pants, at least with G10 scales. I also took a good sized chunk out of my thumb with a new, and very sharp, titanium pocket clip while climbing into a barber’s chair. I put my hands on the arm rests and sat down and sheared off the top of my thumb knuckle as I sat. Such things probably don’t happen with a lanyard. I’ll find out, I guess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a a 3' length of pull-cord on my folders that I take with me in potential survival situations(I know....remote possibility). Pull cord is probably the best cord you can use for a bow drill for friction fire making. For fires, my plan "A" is a lighter, plan "B" is a firesteel, plan "C" is gum wrapper foil and a battery, and plan "D" is to make a bow drill. I do a Chris Reeve lanyard wrap.

Posts: 727 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lanyards have several uses. In addition to those mentioned above a tight lanyard can allow positive retention while allowing a longer swing. Watch a couple survival knife videos and you'll likely see these and other uses for them!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
A proper long lanyard, attached to your belt is useful to help prevent knife loss when working at heights, around deep water, etc.

What most people think of as a knife lanyard nowdays, is more of a fob. Some of my knives came with them on, and they never really bothered me. Once I took them off, they bothered me even less.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What most people think of as a knife lanyard nowdays, is more of a fob.

This is what I was referring to, not some longer lanyard that could be used to prevent loss of the knife or for some other survival type purpose.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
On some of my folding knives, I tie a hangman's knot, made from a foot or less of nylon cord. This way, it serves as a traditional "pull" and, if need be, the cord can be easily unraveled and made into a lanyard in no time at all. A "pull" or fob- the kind of thing Victorinox offers as an accessory for their Swiss Army Knives- helps you get your folder out of a pouch or your pocket or any tight place you've stashed it.

I imagine the practice of attaching a cord to grab onto your folding knife is as old as the folder itself.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take a piece of cord and tie a knot on both sides of the lanyard hole on all my pocket clip folders. The knots serve to give your fingers a better grip as you are unclipping the knife from your pocket. Low profile and works great.
I let the end of the lanyard poke out of my pocket on non pocket clip folders.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I can see how a fob type lanyard can be functional as well as kind of cool looking. I guess I asked the question because looking at the photos posted by Photoman, Grumpy Biker and others put the idea in my head to do the same on some of my knives. I found some good you tube videos on how to make interesting knots. I think I will get myself some cords and try it out to see how I like it.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
A proper long lanyard, attached to your belt is useful to help prevent knife loss when working at heights, around deep water, etc.

What most people think of as a knife lanyard nowdays, is more of a fob. Some of my knives came with them on, and they never really bothered me. Once I took them off, they bothered me even less.Smile

This is my view. I do not find the fobs useful. However a real lanyard is useful for me when I am on a boat fishing. A knife tied to a lanyard will never fall overboard unless I do.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I only have them on folding knives that are carried tip up & have deep carry clips.
This deep carry trend I find a bit irritating as I prefer larger & a bit heavier knife.
The deep carry clip makes it harder to get out of my pocket (I carry in my back pocket only) and a lanyard/ fob helps eliminate the issue.
Obviously there’s no need for a decorative bead but WTH everything else I have seems to be personalized so I add them.
Their weight helps hold them down and the fob is easy to locate by feel.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
to help prevent knife loss when working around deep water.

Best catch I've ever had during a fishing trip was a Leatherman Skeletool. Thought I had a helluva crappie at first and my brother was shaking his head in amazement when I finally got it out of the water. All done with 2 pound Ande Mono and a 8ft B'n'M Buck's Ultimate rod.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Dayum, Grumpy, thst is one sweet 0560.

Okay, now I gotta find me one!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2827 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Dayum, Grumpy, thst is one sweet 0560.

Okay, now I gotta find me one!

They are nice.
I’ve yet to decide on a lanyard bead for the blue daily carry one.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I don't see the need for a fob, it's just one more thing to take up space in my pocket. If I was doing something up high or on the water like somebody mentioned, then yeah I can see the value of a lanyard. I've just always stuffed my pocket knives down into my pocket. I don't use the clips. I've tried them but I'm always afraid that pressure on the bottom of the knife from my leg (like when I sit down) is going to push it up and out and bye-bye. Or that I'll catch it on something as I walk by and have it yanked out.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I don't see the need for a fob, it's just one more thing to take up space in my pocket.

Fobs & lanyards live outside the pocket.
If not you’re doing it wrong. Wink

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I don't see the need for a fob, it's just one more thing to take up space in my pocket.

Fobs & lanyards live outside the pocket.
If not you’re doing it wrong. Wink

Ah well, shows what I know. But then, I'd have the same problem that I do with clips, afraid they're going to catch on something and yank my knife away. Or a pickpocket might grab it, yank and run. I'm too old to chase them.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Top to bottom- hangman's knot, snake's head knots, Victorinox fob.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post