SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Kistner Knives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kistner Knives Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I was browsing blades at a local fun store today, looking at small fixed-bladed knives for carry, in particular. The shop I was in carries an excellent selection of bladed (and other) products, but the store associate waiting on me told me that a knifemaker from Tennessse was due in the shop shortly to display and sell his goods. Both the associate and a nearby customer then let me handle their blades crafted by this TN artisan; intrigued, I stuck around.

I'm glad I did. Smile

Check out Dee Kistner's site at the link provided. He makes quality knives of all sizes. This particular selection I chose wears G10 scales and rides in a fitted Kydex sheath that is set up for.comfortable horizontal carry.

http://www.kistnerknives.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks very cool. I'm assuming yours is the Tragen model from looking at the website. Mind sharing the price you paid? It's not listed on the website.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you! On a card he gave me at the time of purchase, he listed this as a Pocket Drop model. I did notice that the site shows that model with no grips. Nonetheless, the price was $130.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Thank you! On a card he gave me at the time of purchase, he listed this as a Pocket Drop model. I did notice that the site shows that model with no grips. Nonetheless, the price was $130.

Very reasonable! Thanks for sharing this.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice, practical knife.

Good choice and nice price!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Good looking blade! What is the steel?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Good looking blade! What is the steel?

From the website, assuming OP's is the same:

"All knives are deferentially heat treated 1075 high carbon steel."

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned the steel before. Going again by the card I was given with the knife, the steel is "80CRV2." The store associate mentioned that same steel.

I'll admit to being largely knife-illiterate at this point - I'm not sure how 80CRV2 compares to what's stated on the website.

posted Hide Post
The CRV refers to chrome-vanadium, which I think in theory makes it a better steel than the 1075 that he lists on his website in terms of better toughness and edge retention.

Maybe he just hasn't updated his website to reflect the use of better steel.

(Or maybe real knife makers will tell me I'm totally wrong about the above).