SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    ESEE 4 / 1095 carbon steel for survival knife?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ESEE 4 / 1095 carbon steel for survival knife? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My wife has us putting together 72 hour kits for use in emergencies. I'd like to add a good, solid fixed-blade knife to my kit, and I've seen good reviews of the ESEE 4. My question is about the steel in the blade. Since I will rarely be using (and maintaining) this knife, would a 1095 carbon steel blade be a poor choice? I worry that I will open my kit one day to find the knife covered in rust.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Give it a good coat with a dry rust inhibitor or renwax. If you live in a particularly humid area, reapply annually. You should be good to go.

As another note, if you haven’t used it, then the only naked parts of the blade are the edge and where the logo/serial number are laser engraved. There isn’t a lot of real estate that needs to be protected.

They also make a stainless model.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Kravashera has it right, the blade is epoxy coated so the only parts that would be susceptible to rust is the sharpened edge and the laser engraved logo.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The ESEE 3 on one of my gear bags has ridden around in a car for the past 10ish years, and been exposed to the full spectrum of Arkansas weather, including copious humidity. I apply a coating of Breakfree Collector oil once or twice a year, and have yet to run into any issues with rust.

I wouldn't take it out boating on the ocean, or dunk it in water before sticking it in storage, but with even just minimal preventative care I don't think rust is much of a concern. Especially in a dry area like Utah.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My ESEE-4 stays in the console of my truck, and I probably use it once or twice a year. If it does pick up a little rust on the exposed blade, which I've only noticed once, the first time you use it will take care of a little surface rust. I try to remember to keep it oiled, but I'll admit that it isn't high on my priority list.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
well, I went ahead and ordered the ESEE 4. Thanks for all the answers!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

You'll love it. Which one did you get?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

You'll love it. Which one did you get?

I ordered this one (without the MOLLE attachment):

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

posted Hide Post
I prefer the 3 to the 4 but that’s just a personal preference thing. I have a few of the 3s, one of them has take a serious beating over the past 2-3 years from survival classes and just general bushcrafting fun. I just use clpnor some oil or whatever I have handy to keep rust away.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, I like the venom green knives from ease, easy to find when I set them down.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I buy my ESEE’s uncoated and then drop them in a pot of boiling vinegar. It puts a nice patina on them that keeps the rust away.

As I wear away the patina, I just drop them back in from time to time. Never had a problem with rust and i prefer this method to having a coated blade.

If I can’t buy a model I want uncoated, I’ll strip it.

As far as 1095 for a survival knife, I think it’s an ideal choice. I love 1095 because it’s so easy to sharpen up. One of those super steels would be a bitch without shaprening stones/tools. 1095 can be sharpened on almost anything to a usable edge.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I love me some 1095 and 01! I can get em super sharp with a GOOD heat treat. I can get many of the Super steels razor sharp also with the same tools. Many of the Super steels can be treated to a hardness that only Diamond systems work easy. I try and find out the main use for a knife and then choose the steel and HRC. Carbon steel can be pretty much no maintenance, especially when finished out to a very high grit finish or polish. When bead blasting a finish you “welcome” moisture to become trapped in the pores and invite rust. Acid “etching” wether it be Coffee,Mustard,Lemon, Ferric Chloride,etc. is All controled rusting.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I buy my ESEE’s uncoated and then drop them in a pot of boiling vinegar. It puts a nice patina on them that keeps the rust away...
If I can’t buy a model I want uncoated, I’ll strip it.

What do you use to strip them? I also prefer uncoated blades.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
It's an orange citrus stripper I got at Home Depot.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^That's easy enough. I'm going to pick some up and try it. Thanks.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You chose...wisely!

I have an ESEE 3 (RC-3MIL) that rode my gear in Iraq, now is strapped to my "get home" bag. I don't maintain it at all and it is sharp with no rust, ready for use. Caveat, I haven't really had to use it either, it is just faithfully there waiting!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
If you want to fill more emergency survival kits with fixed blade knives on the cheap (but not junky), I suggest Morakniv Stainless Knives. Why? Because they are cheap and proven to be tough, lightweight, with good steel knives perfect for storage emergency survival use. Reviews all over the place on Youtube on how good these knives are for the price.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Update please.

NRA Life Member

Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
ESEE knives are my choice of camping, outdoors, SHTF blades. They are extremely tough, inexpensive, easy to maintain knives. I have a -4, PR4, CR 2.5 and a Junglas 2.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post