SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    New fillet knife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New fillet knife Login/Join 
posted
After over 30 years, I got the urge for a new fillet knife. There I was searching sites for the Morakniv Companion, Marttinis, Rapalas; bit on Amazon for the Mora 6"-inch model. The photo didn't match what I thought I bought; the six inch with scaler is what arrived.

Keeper, or toss it back? Smile From Mora's page.

https://morakniv.se/en/product...ishing-scaler-150-s/

Posts: 3225 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I know that urge. I have a few filet knives including a Forschner, Buck(?), Victorinox but always come back to my Rapala.

The Rapala is easy to sharpen and has just the right amount of flex.

Maybe keep the new one for rough fish that need scaling first?

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you're filleting but on my boat I used Dexter Russell white handled ones. They were great and I didn't care if one went overboard. From a more traditional standpoint I like Rapala, had a couple for years but more for fresh water use.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to get to the coast for some fishing from the pier next month (spots, maybe flounder). May get a chance to go to the Chesapeake Bay for stripers with family. Thought the Mora had a scaler along with the traditional lines of the Rapala, but it is much fuller. I believe that it would be a great camp kitchen knife.

Going back on-line tonight for the right one, but will keep it just in case. (ETA; ordered a four-inch Rapala for light duty. No birch handle like the old ones, it's rubber.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Look at Grohmann knives in Nova Scotia.

I too like Dexter. I have their 6" boning knife. Worked well as a Fillet knife in a pinch recently.

That Mora looks more like a boat knife. I like their knives too. But that model as a fillet knife does not look like a good choice imho. It is too thick through out.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^The Grohmann offerings appear to be working fishermen's quality gear. Alas, I'm a novice. A couple of Dexters look good; will look harder at their lines. My new four-inch Rapala is PRC made, not from Finland. Actually, I was just now thinking of sanding down the old one's handle and refinish it. Marttini does have a model (and Dexter has something similar) that piques my interest.

It showed as out of stock earlier:

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...l-scoop-black-sheath

ETA: I took the easy path; got another six-inch Finnish made Rapala. The local West Marine has a few Dexters, may check them out Saturday morning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,