SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Best value camp axe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best value camp axe? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned you can get a workable edge with a good file.....a puck will make it better.....I use sticks to get it shaving sharp.

Watch your hands...easy to get cut

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Is a Lansky puck decent or should one pay 8x the price for a Gransfors one?
Best resource for learning the technique?
Should a splitting axe be very sharp? I read that a maul should not be sharp.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the market for one now as well, decided to go with the Schrade SCAXE2L: https://www.amazon.com/Schrade...3N0AYMAZR374GJHQAEVS

Looks like a good value, they have a smaller one, but I like the longer 15" handle, it is still light and portable.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Well, I didn't go with "best value" but it didn't cost me much Smile

I bought the Gransfors (edit: Hults, not Gransfors) Bruks Gran small splitting axe. I had a REI gift card and there was a 20% off coupon so I got it for $31 delivered. Score!

Now, to learn how to sharpen an axe...

Bruce

You did fine. Hults Bruk has been around a long time and makes fine tools. You'll love it.

Posts: 2686 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Is a Lansky puck decent or should one pay 8x the price for a Gransfors one?
Best resource for learning the technique?
Should a splitting axe be very sharp? I read that a maul should not be sharp.

Bruce

The Lansky works for me just fine

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave up on REI due to their anti-gun SJW stance.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post