SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    rescue tool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rescue tool Login/Join 
Picture of tenmm
posted
I was planning to get a Benchmade SOCP Rescue tool for my duty gear. In light of recent events, I'm looking for an alternative manufacturer. So, what are your recommendations?

Posts: 759 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it need to be fixed blade? Spyderco makes very nice rescue folders in two or three different styles. The Rescue Assist has some interesting features.

Posts: 2686 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
It doesnt need to be fixed, I'd like to avoid something with much of a blade, knives are not an approved part of our kit.

Posts: 759 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Does the Boker Plus Cop tool fit your needs?
https://www.amazon.com/Boker-P...-Knife/dp/B001AC60X8

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Boker Rescom

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I carry Spyderco Assist in orange.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Gerber Strap Cutter - comes in black, gray, and coyote tan. It's US Military issue.

Gerber Crisis Hook Knife resembles the SOCP.

Leatherman Z-Rex multitool also resembles the SOCP.

Leatherman Raptor are nice emergency shears w/ strap cutter and glass breaker built in. Expensive, heavy, and kind of busy for a pair of EMT shears though.

BlackHawk HawkHook is a compact folding emergency tool. It's lightweight and fits nicely in a pocket.

resqme - keychain size and it's spring-loaded punch is IMHO the best of the bunch. It's not made for day-in, day-out use though, so the thin razor blade will wear out. I don't believe the blade is replaceable.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
I like both of those Boker models. Thanks, guys!

posted Hide Post
What are you looking for?

A rescue tool, and I want a multi-tool. I like the Leatherman trauma shears. Or just a regular
Leatherman.

A backup knife is something totally different.

I've got a HAK behind my vest. Good luck trying to find one... Excellent knife, but the company went tits up a while back. There's still a few out there, but hard to come by.

Look at a push-dagger. Cold steel has some nice ones.
Gerber guardians are nice.
ESEE / Izula is another nice thin knife.
SOG has some smaller, thinner knives as well.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8314 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

I have these Cold Steels as well as CRKT, Browning and S&W rescue knifes.
email me your interests.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8317 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Granted a whole different world from the Benchmade model you had been looking at, or the Boker and other models others have suggested. Lots of jurisdictions have these in their patrol cars. I have one of these (original Becker flavor) in each of my vehicles:

https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-...r-Tool/dp/B001IPILMA

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

A rescue tool, and I want a multi-tool. I like the Leatherman trauma shears. Or just a regular
Leatherman.

A backup knife is something totally different.

I've got a HAK behind my vest. Good luck trying to find one... Excellent knife, but the company went tits up a while back. There's still a few out there, but hard to come by.

Gerber guardians are nice.
ESEE / Izula is another nice thin knife.
SOG has some smaller, thinner knives as well.

???
https://hakknife.com

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
I work Corrections. I like the SOCP its not really a knife, just the hook. The Gerber looks pretty good also. That HAK looks like a good inside the vest option, too. So much cool gear, so little time.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STS:

???
https://hakknife.com

SWEET BABY JESUS! They're back!!!
It used to be "Hideaway Knives".

Hopefully they got their stuff squared away!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8314 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad that's the response. Was about to order one.

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Does the Boker Plus Cop tool fit your needs?
https://www.amazon.com/Boker-P...-Knife/dp/B001AC60X8

The cutter on the cop tool is good for sharpening pencils and not much else.

Posts: 21044 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leatherman raptor is awesome, I've been using one for a few weeks now. I got it after responding to a hit and run situation where we needed to cut the clothes off the guy on the way to the hospital to get to injuries and the shears in the ambulance were less than useful.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Toughest are the winklers link

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5641 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post