SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Recommend a cheap OTF
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a cheap OTF Login/Join 
posted
Any recommendations on an affordable OTF knife?
I want double action and preferable 3.5” blade or something close to that and a blade steel that isn’t total shit.

I realize you usually get what you pay for but I don’t want to drop 3-400 on a microtech ect.. straight away

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Somebody here had an infidel for sale a week or three ago.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
I just bought one of these:

https://cobratecknives.com/col...cts/lightweight-grey

Quality is decent and after a couple days, I haven't broken it yet.

Posts: 257 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you plan on spending but I bought a Hogue/HK otf a few months back for less than $200 I believe. A couple guys I work with have them as well and use them a lot with good results.

Posts: 6836 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here is a Boker on sale. They also have other Bokers in the same price range.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--...nikov-DA-OTF--113130

I don't know these knives but Boker is generally reliable. I wouldn't expect a double action OTF to be able to be made a lot more cheaply than this with any quality. It is a fiddly mechanism.

That same seller has some S&W single action OTFs for around $45. I haven't been very impressed with S&W branded knives, though. I'd be fearful they are not very high quality.

I have handled a Hogue OTF. They were nicely made, and less than a Microtech.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A lot of those S&W's and Schrades are single action, out only and they have a little lever to get them back in.

I just reread your post JHE888, disregard my post above.

As for the Boker and AKC, I have a few Boker and AKC autos(not OTF) and the ones made in Taiwan are well made. A couple of them are Chinese, you can tell the difference

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I’ve got Microtechs galore and I find myself carrying my Lightning 90% of the time. It’s been just about flawless and does edc tasks as good as my others many times it’s cost. Had it about 4 years now I think. It amazes me that it’s still functioning this well.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I picked up one of these a couple years ago, and it's a good choice in the price range. It's not a Microtech by any means, but it does the job.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--...OTF-Automatic--92207

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schrade. Superb little (Chinese made) OTF blades.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
My son has a couple Cobratec OTFs. His latest is a Small CTK-1. He bought it at Scheels in South Dakota. You can also check their website. They have a lot of different models.

https://cobratecknives.com/col...ons/ctk-1-collection

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2827 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Worthless without pics

My son grabbed this at a gun show in Fort Worth. I carry it a lot. Works well. I think it cost 65-80 bucks. You can get different or replacement blades for it last I knew. I abuse it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Cobra-tec this morning. For the price, I had to give one a try. I bought the medium size. They are heavy, I kind of thought after I got home, “this is the Hi-Point” of the knife world lol. It’s stout for sure, I think for the price point it’s a very very good value, of course I haven’t put it through anything yet but I think I’ll be happy.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Bought one, a little while back, on a whim...

https://cobratecknives.com/pro...ition-special-forces

"Special Forces Black"

Saw it pop up in an ad and liked it for the simplicity and size.

Think you're right; it's likely the Hi-Point of the knife world...

Posts: 4915 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4915 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post