SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Microtech Wants Me Poor and Homeless. Multiple New Knives Released.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microtech Wants Me Poor and Homeless. Multiple New Knives Released. Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
Over the past 10 days, Microtech has been releasing new knives out the wazoo. They are a five so far with no sign of quitting, and all of them look like something I want to get in some fashion. A big thing they're improved is their new spring system allowing knives like the Combat Troodon letting you use a pinky to fire and retract the knife.

Here's all of them so far:

Prices I've seen for the Combat Troodon and the Hera 2 are around the $450 range.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Yeah I saw the new Combat Troodon III and canceled my Manticore E I had on layaway. Looks like they solved or at least much improved the major flaw of the model, the firing mechanism.

It is on the larger side of what I usually carry, but I see good reason to carry a bigger knife these days.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see they have changed to an easier firing with the slide that has been my only complaint. Time to spend my Christmas money

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wanted a Cypher but they discontinued them a few years ago.

Was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Combat Troodon but was holding out for a Satan finish blade and all I could find is Stone Washed.

Now that the Cypher is back and has a better firing mechanism I'll wait until one comes in stock with the DE blade.

Posts: 967 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That Hera II looks tempting. Probably time to sell my Combat Troodon.

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Do we have a Microtech dealer on Sigforum?

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The Combat Troodon and Hera 2 are both selling at around $450 when in stock. The Cypher II is a proof run right now so it's $549. LUDT is around $265. The one that really hurts is the Scarab II Proof Run set at $649. As soon as I find a single edge partial serrated version of any of these, I'm buying.

quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:

I wish. Probably could have saved some money.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The Combat Troodon and Hera 2 are both selling at around $450 when in stock. The Cypher II is a proof run right now so it's $549. LUDT is around $265. The one that really hurts is the Scarab II Proof Run set at $649. As soon as I find a single edge partial serrated version of any of these, I'm buying.

quote:

Those prices are ridiculous.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

quote:

Those prices are ridiculous.

Considering $480 today was $250 five years ago, not really.

I got my Combat Troodon III, need to post pics, I know. Mine has a satin finish dagger combo blade, fully serrated edge on the spine side and a plain edge on the front. The blade is perfectly ground and as sharp as I've ever seen a knife out-of-the-box.

I have to report that it is 100% fully bad-ass. Large enough to be practical as an OTF. The action is very nice, and strong. It just feels very refined and it carries its size really well. Dissappears in jeans, much thinner, though longer, than the Emerson I'm used to.

I cant stop playing with it. It fires like a single action OTF.

CHACK!

slice slice slice

CHACK!

Too good. I love it. Also the blade does NOT protrude from the handle when retracted. I was a little worried but I dont feel it at all when I run my finger over the gap.

Anyway, it's a 10/10. Microtech is red hot right now.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the new Gen 3 Combat Troodon and even with my arthritic thumb, it is easy for me to open and close it. What a difference compared to the older ones!

I like it so much that I have a new Scarab 2 on order. Should arrive by Friday or sooner.

I picked up a new Exocet, DOB 10/22 and, to my surprise, it was much easier to open that the first one I bought a few years ago.

The only thing still I need (okay-want) is a new or newer Red handled Ultratech with the tanto blade, partially serrated blade with the dark blade.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My major complaint about my Combat Troodon is that the action is awful. Ya'll got me thinking about a new one....

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my new Scarab 2 yesterday and it is soooo easy to open and close. The sole thing lacking is a tanto blade, but otherwise it became my new EDC immediately.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
Damn. I know what I’m asking Santa for Christmas.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1744 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I didn't do an extra post on the Hera Mini, but Microtech seems to have cracked the secret:

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if the improved switch and non-proprietary screws will be included on the Ultratech?

Posts: 9969 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Microtech seems to be making their OTFs easier to open and I've had real good luck with my new Scarab and combat Troodon. Easy to open and a joy to operate compared to their predecessors.

So, I bought the newest Ultratech-with the new step-side body, a tanto blade and partial serrations. Exactly what I was looking for except I could only find a black handle, not the red I wanted.

It was dated 01-24 and I was very pleased...until I tried to open it. Still hard to open, though I could do it with my arthritic thumb, but not fun and I traded it off yesterday doing what I do best, losing some money on the deal.

Bob

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Ultratech has not been updated yet. If they can make the same upgrades with the lower price as the other knives, it'll be a steal.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The Atreus has been named:

Really curious about the price.