SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Hawk Thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawk Thread Login/Join 
posted
So I use Tomahawks and Axes a bunch. I use an RMJ little bird which is AMAZING. Also a SOG tha Ty works in my UTC. What say you on Hawks? Any experience to share? In my experience a hawk is invaluable. All opines welcome.
Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 126911,

Posts: 383 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I have a few hatchets and a small belt axe/sounding axe but am glad you brought the topic up. I’ve been wanting to ad a tomahawk for a while and wanted to get your/others thoughts on a less expensive option like the CRKT Kangee before heading down the $$$ trail of RMJ, Winkler, Halfbreed, etc.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gave our son a Hardcore Hardware hawk when he deployed. Says it makes short work of ammo crates.Still has it.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Hardcore Hardware hawk looks very nice. I bet it WILL do anything asked from it. I asked a friend who has a pretty good collection of hawks about the crkt as I haven’t had any experience with them. He doesn’t have one but his Son does and he is happy with it. He wasn’t sure which model though. I would think that if Ryan Johnson was the designer it will probably work very well. Not sure about the scales but since they are removable you could always change them out.

Posts: 383 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We like Hawk Threads........ Smile

These 2 spend a lot of time in the woods...

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’m fortunate to have met RMJ and Mr Daniel Winkler. Been to the RMJ shop also. Love his crew and his work. I’ve enjoyed a Jenny Wren and Little Birds from RMJ, a CRKT copy of the mini Jenny, 2Hawks Woodsman, and SOG for throwing practice (it’s held up surprisingly well). I carry a RMJ in my go bag.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My little bird is identical to yours. How did the crkt hawk hold up? All the hawk pics are good.

posted Hide Post
I’ve had an old generic hawk I picked up in a black powder shop as a kid. It’s marked wi H&B. Has a hell of an edge and I’ve never hacked with it. Have an Estwing Boy Scout hatchet for that. Always considered the hawk as a prop to go with my trader’s blanket coat, but it would make a wicked weapon ala The Patriot.
Looked closer, and I believe I have the same hawk as Pace40, second from the top.

update: H&B Forge is still around, Hawk will cost more now than the 25.00 I spent in '78? for a hawk and scabbard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muzzleloader,

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
pace40, what is that one with the darker handle? It is gorgeous!

Hawks are one of my favorite tools for working outside. Throwing them is fun, too. I'm really wanting an RMJ Tactical Eagle Talon.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
pace40, what is that one with the darker handle? It is gorgeous!

It's a custom by Joe Darnell. You're right, absolutely beautiful work.

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post