SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Why no love for serrated blades?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no love for serrated blades? Login/Join 
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted
In perusing this sub and looking at the photos of EDCs and collections, I notice hardly any of them feature knives with serrated blades.

Why is this? Are serrateds generally looked down on in the knife community? Do bladesmiths prefer not to make them?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
They don’t cut as clean and are a bitch to-resharpen.

Now I’m sure someone will post YouTube videos and some sort of argument as to why I’m wrong, and I won’t care because for my uses, a plain edge blade wins every time, save for cutting rope or steaks on a plate.

Posts: 17045 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serrated edges are saws not knives.

They certainly have their uses but they aren't the same uses.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Yeah, I can see that. Thanks!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any full length serrated carry knives. Most are plain edge but I do have a few that are partially serrated. I don't see any downside to partial serrated, if anything the front half performs any slicing task I have as well as a full length plain blade and the serrated portion is there is I ever need to saw through thick rope, cardboard, seatbelts and the like (not that I have ever actually had to use it for seatbelts but you never know). Seems like they have their purpose.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now I’m sure someone will post YouTube videos and some sort of argument as to why I’m wrong, and I won’t care because for my uses, a plain edge blade wins every time, save for cutting rope or steaks on a plate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!
PS Serrated is best for fresh bread!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fla. Jim,

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I have a shit ton of pocket knives, I have some partially serrated blades and even one fully serrated Spyderco Rookie. Hate that knife. The partially serrated knives definitely have a place in the pocket though. When I am working the combo blades are great.

The best single benefit of serrations are that if you are using the knife hard and it starts getting dull, the serrated knives still cut stuff well. In between sharpenings the serrated blade will work harder and longer without the big drop off in performance. Serrations also cut fibrous stuff, ropes, cords, etc., way better. Bad at tomatoes though. Lol

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

The best single benefit of serrations are that if you are using the knife hard and it starts getting dull, the serrated knives still cut stuff well. In between sharpenings the serrated blade will work harder and longer without the big drop off in performance. Serrations also cut fibrous stuff, ropes, cords, etc., way better. Bad at tomatoes though. Lol

Agreed. Serrations cut better when not maintained as compared to plain edges. Some think they may have advantages when cutting fibrous materials like ropes, but I am not sure this isn't a subset of being better cutters when slightly dull - and the difference being that slightly dull shows up more obviously on a plain edge when you are cutting rope.

Plus serrations are a real pain in the ass to resharpen. I'd so far as to say that you can't get serrations as sharp as a plain edge, ever.

And, serrations do make you knife more of a saw. Whether that bothers you or not is up to you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
They have a place, I carry a Spyderco Military most days and keep a hawkbill H1 in my hunting kit. Also carry a Spyderco rescue many days, it was my friends issued blade.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer serrated as I'm around ropes. (boat, climbing).

CRKT knifes with Vett Serrations have the best serrations for cutting rope, the difference between that and others is night and day. Unfortunately, they tend to being shitty little knives but they appear to have upgraded some of them recently.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serrated blades are great for niche tasks like cutting rope, belts, or other abrasive synthetic materials that might collect dust/sand into their fibers. If you have to repeatedly cut thick line that may pick up some grains of sand in it, a plain edge will become dull fast and may not be up to the task to perform repeated cuts. Generally a serrated blade is a superior choice for hard use, repeated cuts for these materials.

On the other hand, a well honed plain edge does a better job in my mind for cutting natural materials like in bushcraft, materials with large surface areas like paper/plastic, or food. A plain edge gives you a much higher degree of cutting precision, and leaves behind clean separations.

Each type has their place, but usually I will pick a plain edge for its broader range of practical uses. I use serrated for specific jobs.

Posts: 727 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer serrated blades for work on a boat. They're much quicker to cut rope, which can come in handy in an emergency situation.

For years I carried a half serrated blade deer hunting. The plain edge was best for gutting and the serrated part was best for cutting the sternum area. And yes my plain edge blades are normally shaving sharp, but the serrated edge will "saw" though bone much easier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaybirdaccountant,

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
For me they have a lot of downsides, and close to zero upsides for the things I use a knife for. I don't really have anything against them, they are just less useful for me 99% of the time.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3506 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
All knives are serrated, it's just way more obvious on some. Razz

The ones the OP mentions are best suited to kitchen tasks IMO. Cooked or frozen meats, veggies or fruit with thick skins and bread are typically cut with serrated edges.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Sharpening them just takes more patience.

Spyderco's Sharpmaker is a nice tool for the for plain edge and serrated edges.

I keep mine on my desk at work, and use it when I have a few minutes free and need to mentally relax.

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serrated knives are good if you don't sharpen your knife, don't know how and or have low quality steel that has poor edge retention.

Serrated knives do a better job cutting rope and strap. Lets bust that myth Big Grin My EDC that I haven't sharpen in awhile, can see it has some use on it. Non-serrated no problem!

11mm climbing rope and 2" tie down strap.

Sent the above pictures to a buddy, he asked how I cut these. Standing on the rope and strap, holding the loose end, rope/strap fairly taught slice cut starting on the edge. Folding either over the edge and then slice would certainly be an easier cut. Don't need no stinkin' serrations!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
quote:
a plain edge blade wins every time, save for cutting rope or steaks on a plate.

A quality plain edge steak knife, especially one that's been properly maintained, still beats serrated all day. I inherited a full set of Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional "S" knives. They're amazing, and now I get sad when I go out to eat steak at a restaurant and they give me a cheap serrated knife.

Serrated blades shred/saw, plain edges cut.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried full serrated folders for many years while working in the city thinking they would slash thru clothing (heavy) if the need ever arose. Now days have switched to all conventional edge. Work better for my personal lifestyle.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serrated edges have their advantages in some areas. It has nothing to do with not being able to sharpen your knife or not having the latest mall ninja steel.

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
Back when you could still carry a knife on a plane, serrated edges scared the hell out of the airport people.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post