SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Why no love for serrated blades?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no love for serrated blades? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I used to like serrated edge because they can cut a lot longer without being sharpened. Then I learned how to sharpen and now prefer straight edged knives. If I still have a serrated knife and I needed to sharpen it, I would simply sharpen it towards a straight edge.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19575 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I actually only bought this knife to experience the action of the switch / actuator vs a Microtech.
I didn’t want yet another black handled knife and this partial serrated blade was the only double edge blade in non-black they had in stock.
My time is not spent cutting rope, line or seatbelts so I have no practical use for this type of edge. But as it goes it’s a decent hollow ground serration.
If you’re a “right tool for the right job” type of person, serrated blades aren’t for everyone. YMMV

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
The serrations on a knife blade act like stressrisers, if you get the knife in a bind and put any lateral stress on the blade the fracture will start from one of the serrations. As they are usually in the back area of a blade they make the part that needs to be toughest actually the weakest.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hey, Ed. Good to see you. Merry Christmas.

You guys should listen to Ed. He's forgotten more about knives than the rest of us will ever know.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting tidbit I had never heard. But makes sense.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19101 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Hello Para and thanks for the welcome. Hope to see you at Blade next summer. Merry Christmas to you my friend.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ed. Here's hoping things are more back to normal by then. Smile

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post