SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Auto type knife help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto type knife help Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
My state will allow auto knives now. I have never had one. But would like one. But I do not know a lot about them to be honest.

I want a quality unit. I watched a video about how they can be bad if you use them for cutting food and when they retract they pull food back into the mechanism and cause issues. I had not thought of such things.

Looks like I can buy a Microtech in the $260 range.

Wondering what you guys can tell me about a purchase of an auto type knife and what you would recommend.

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
There are 3 kinds of auto knives that I’m aware of.
1) Auto folder. Press button and knife flips open.
2) OTF- out the front. Push button, knife comes forward , out of the handle. Push button again- knife retracts back into handle. Double Action.
3) Dual Action. Looks like a traditional folder. Has auto button feature but is hidden in the handle scales. Functions as an auto and traditional folder.

For a first time auto, I would recommend a regular auto. You can open in the manner you expect- traditional folder. OTF opens unlike any knife you have had. This OTF is more prone to an “accidental discharge”. OTF is more prone to getting gummed up.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Here is a thread on out-the-front autos (OTF). https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4910019184

That is the first choice to make - OTF or side opener?

OTFs further divide into double action, which open AND close with successive operations of the slider, and single action, which open when the button is pressed, but have to be manually retracted. Each has advantages.

Microtech is the gold standard for factory knives and especially OTFs, but they are expensive. Heretic makes nice OTFs, too, and they aren't as expensive as Microtech.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to get a Microtech knife but when I went shopping for one, everywhere was sold out on line. I went with an HK otf which is made by Hogue now and it has been serving me well. I have a few guys I work with who also have them and use them everyday and so far so good.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have the Buck 110 and 112 dual action.

They look innocent enough.

I have several Hubertus autos that are just everyday pocket knives, designed for camping/food cutting/general knife stuff.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
ORC, you have an email from me.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I wanted to get a Microtech knife but when I went shopping for one, everywhere was sold out on line. I went with an HK otf which is made by Hogue now and it has been serving me well. I have a few guys I work with who also have them and use them everyday and so far so good.

I have an HK that was gifted to me,I really like it,seems built like a tank

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post