SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Any Ruana knife fans on site?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Ruana knife fans on site? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
Ruana Knives ... https://www.ruanaknives.com/

Lots of interesting stories surrounding these knives made in Montana. Forged steel, cast aluminum handles and all.

It's said that Rudy Ruana used Studebaker leaf springs for his knives until those became unavailable and he went to 1095. I have no idea what was so special about Studebaker leaf springs or why any others just wouldn't do. Rudy passed away in the 80's so we may never know. In 1983 when Rudy retired, he sold Ruana to his son in law and grandsons. The son in law, Vic Hangas, passed away several years ago after 52yrs of making Ruana knives, and now the grandsons produce Ruana knives. Video of some of the process is posted below.

According to USPS tracking, mine should be here Saturday. If you got 'em, post 'em. Thanks !!! Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a big fan and following this company for at least 7 or 8 years.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Anxiously awaiting my non-catalog "Vic's Blade". USPS tracking still says Saturday delivery but location history indicates it may be here as early as tomorrow's delivery Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Got my paws on the Ruana non-catalog "Vic's Blade" and I'm impressed. All the way from the thick and supple, nicely finished English bridle leather sheath ... to the gorgeous, well built, sturdy and balanced knife ... to the included interesting book. The palm swell with included Elk slabs and contours are symmetrical and flawless. The blade bevel is even on both sides and comes shaving sharp but could be easily refined to perfection given time with a hand stone. This knife sings in my grasp and will gut out a mosquito when sharpened just right. WIN !!!

Picture from Ruana website ...

Ruana has this to say about "Vic's Blade" ...

Honoring, our father, Vic Hangas

In 2017, we honored our dad, Vic Hangas, and his 52 plus years of making Ruana Knives with the V. N. Hangas Special knife. The prototype and first 100 of these knives were made with special engraving, numbering, a certificate, special leather for the sheath and other bells and whistles that will never be used again for this knife and sheath. We anticipated this design being popular and are offering it for sale as a non-catalog, but regular production knife. With Dad (Vic) passing away on November 30, 2019, this particular knife has taken on a more special meaning to us while making them and also those that receive them.

Knife & Sheath Features:

The blade is hammer forged, flat grind 4” 1095 carbon steel blade made from 3/16” stock with a hybrid shape between the Custom Finn and Steelhead blades. It has thumb notches at the hilt and would work well for hunting, fishing, camping, anything in the outdoors or an everyday carry knife.

The 4 1/2” cast aluminum handle has elk antler inserts secured with aluminum rivets and is a shop favorite of all of us in terms of comfort and functionality.

The boot style, full sheath is handmade in our shop with chestnut colored English Bridle leather.

... I really like it ... a lot Smile ... sure wouldn't mind having a Bowie just like the one Rudy Ruana is holding on the book cover either. Just sayin'

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
From the first page of the book ...

HEAR THE HAMMER

The internal echo begins with the ears
a constant "...'ing, 'ing..."
Then fills the body, which glows
with every swing
Finally rendering the heart
A melody that harmonizes the beat.

Gnarled hands thick and hard
Hands black and old from years at the forge,
Swing with a proud grace.
Hear the hammer ...

The soothing, clean smell of leather,
A grinding, grating of steel on steel
Dry, metallic smell, bone dust
That fills the air and coats the skin.
The final, eternal echo that fills the soul.

~ Amy Nordstrom, Grand-daughter of Rudolph H. Ruana ~

... beautiful ...

posted Hide Post
That is a good and sturdy looking knife

I also like the sheath and how well it is made

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
They make the sheaths right there at Ruana too. Read in the book that way WAY back before Rudy had the machine to produce the sheaths, he would send leather into town to a harness maker. He could get a dozen sheaths sown together for 80 cents. Times have changed LOL ... but the Ruana knives have stood the test of time, hunter, outdoorsman and collector alike. What a great knife from salt of the earth folks out in Big Sky country.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Love the Bowie pictured on the book's cover.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have a Smokejumper model. My favorite knife. I've had it for 32 years and can't find anything I would trade it for.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post