SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Is There a Billion Dollar Sword in Your Garage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is There a Billion Dollar Sword in Your Garage? Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I am honored to have known Estley Schick. I also know the author of the article

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6400 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
onjo Masamune

So, picture this: it was my birthday, and my buddy shows up with this mysterious, wrapped package. Inside? A sleek wakizashi sword, gleaming like it just jumped out of a samurai flick. Turns out, he stumbled upon it at a local antique shop and thought it screamed my name (literally, it's engraved with my initials now!). He said it was to fend off any office ninjas or just to look awesome on my wall - either way, it's now my favorite conversation starter. Who knew he had such an eye for epic gifts? Lol. Anyway, for anyone curious, I found a similar wakizashi sword for sale. Take a look!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rcpylon,

Posts: 52 | Location: MS, USA | Registered: February 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's a nice gift, but I'm going to talk about that site you linked. Those are very expensive for what they are, and what they are is another Longquan forge modern repro. Now, that's fine in and of itself, there's actually some pretty nice swords coming out of China, but they're asking two times the going rate on the low end and a hell of a lot more than than that on the high end.

Because I want to dink around with some back yard cutting without spending stupid money on it, I've been looking into the budget Longquan cutter thing. All of these guys make fancy display swords as well, but bang-for-the-buck, I've narrowed it down to the following two (out of many) and intend to order a basic through-hardened (no hamon) 9260 beater soon.

https://www.hanbonforge.com/

https://www.dremsword.com/

You can "custom your sword" with most all of the Longquan builders, they tend to offer a lot of the same fittings because they come from the same sources. If you stick to the iron or brass fittings, they tend to look less cheap compared to the alloy. These two makers in particular don't tend to do great Ito, but all the reviews I'm seeing say the fittings are very tight, which is nice. If you wanted a real sword with high carbon steel, full tang, and a nice hamon (actually clay tempered, not wire-wheel brushed), they start around $200. Dremsword offers a Honsanmai that starts at $415 before you start picking your fittings and other options. I threw together some random add-on charge specs and came out at $608 for a wakizashi, and that's probably more appropriate than $2,400 for a Chinese production sword.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post