SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Lubrication on Autos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lubrication on Autos Login/Join 
posted
Update: I think it is a good idea to clean the blade if possible after use before retracting it, as today cutting tape to open a box, on my new AFO 2 a member sold me, so I will start doing so. When the Autostryker 2 arrives back from BM after servicing, I will advise the diagnosis.

What lubrication are members using on autos? On the one hand for a Benchmade Autostryker 2, I have been told no lubrication heavier than Rem Oil, and it varies. What are you guys doing?

PS: Thanks for the posts here as this is my first auto. It began frequently stopping 1/8” before locking all the way open. I was not lubricating it. I began using Rem Oil snd it did not cure the problem so I had my BM dealer ship it to the factory last week.

Soldiers in the Sandbox as they called it would have a different regimen than in a non sand environment I feel sure. I have a second arriving from a member tomorrow and appreciate your suggestions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tschiemer,

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but Boeshield T-9 on all my knives. I blow them out, spray in T-9, blow the excess out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a dusty old bottle of hoppes gun oil that came in one of those cheap K mart type gun cleaning kits that has served me well for years. When my microtech starts to get sluggish a drop or two and a few activations of the opening button and it is back to normal

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I have a Microtech and they recommend (and I use) Rem-oil.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4310 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two automatic knives here. My old Camillus MC-1 parachute knife has been with me for over 50 years and never failed to open, but it lacks a lot in design and edge-holding abilities. More a collectors item than a working knife.

Added a Boker 'Magnum' a couple of years ago. Excellent AUS-8 stainless blade, hollow-ground and easy to keep sharp. Recessed push button that requires no safety for secure carry. When brand new the opening was sluggish so I put a drop of light machine oil on the pivot pin. No problems since, snaps open nicely, totally reliable.

Took a road trip through several states this spring, looked into knife laws for those areas I would be travelling through. To say that there is no consistency in laws from one city or state to another would be a dangerous overstatement. My Boker is perfectly legal in my home state, but in many other places it could easily bring a serious criminal charge for simple possession. Not being inclined to support bail bondsmen or defense attorneys while on vacation, I left the automatic knife at home.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Use a light oil, like Rem Oil. I also find KPL works (Knife Pivot Lube) well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I use a silicone lubricant that dries dry. Wet lubricants seem to gum up after a bit.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2240 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I can piggyback on Tschiemers question-
I have the same problem with my Microtech. It's no extending all the way.

Am I cleaned it out with break cleaner/carb cleaner/break-free before hitting it with a light oil?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Am I cleaned it out with break cleaner/carb cleaner/break-free before hitting it with a light oil?

https://support.microtechknive...ic-knife-maintenance

Here are Microtech's own suggestions. Summary: blow it out with canned air and lubricate with Rem Oil. Blow out excess oil with canned air again. If the blade gets dirty, clean it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I badly want Hogue to make a slim OTF like the Ultratech. Microtech being precious about disassembling their knives really turns me off.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
One of the reasons I badly want Hogue to make a slim OTF like the Ultratech. Microtech being precious about disassembling their knives really turns me off.

They sell the tool now. It is expensive, though. But the bits have been available for years from third parties.

I am sure that many people take the OTFs apart and can't get them back together again, but then complain to Microsoft. They may well be justified in being a little precious in light of the average numbskull.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I carry a Benchmade automatic 9051SBK AFO II and have for around 8 years.

I use whatever oil I have on hand for most of the time but a few times when I had to go out in the desert in the sand, I used bicycle chain lube.

https://www.amazon.com/White-L...83520390633763&psc=1

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

https://support.microtechknive...ic-knife-maintenance

Here are Microtech's own suggestions. Summary: blow it out with canned air and lubricate with Rem Oil. Blow out excess oil with canned air again. If the blade gets dirty, clean it.

Thanks!
I kinda went a step further, and glad I did.
Rubbing alcohol first. A lot of lint & crud came out, NASTY!
Compressor, then Rem-oil as per the recommendations. It worked like a charm now!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use a light oil, like Rem Oil. I also find KPL works (Knife Pivot Lube) well.

I like Rem Oil because it's thin and doesn't seem to attract as much dirt and lint as some oils.

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Have been using the old 3 in 1 oil since the late 40's! on all my knives and guns, never any rust, some staining of the carbon steel blade, but nothing serious. Not a big fan of so called stainless steel blades.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: Benchmade returned the knife fully functioning. Their note said: defective. I do not believe it was a lubrications issue after all but thanks for this great information! I just obtained a Microtech Scarab 2 Tactical and traded the Benchmade to a relative who lacked a quality knife.

Love these knives.

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
I have a Microtech and they recommend (and I use) Rem-oil.

That’s the stuff to use.
It’s a “dry” oil that doesn’t collect dirt & grime like wet oils that slow the action & cause you to disassemble & clean more frequently.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalei:
I Have been using the old 3 in 1 oil since the late 40's! on all my knives and guns, never any rust, some staining of the carbon steel blade, but nothing serious. Not a big fan of so called stainless steel blades.

This is about lubrication for an automatic knife. It is less about rust prevention than a lube that keep the auto functioning. In out-the-front autos especially, lubrication is needed, but heavier oils can be too viscous, and ones that stay "wet" on the mechanism will collect dust that interferes with the function. I think 3 in 1 oil will be in that category. Rem-oil is popular for these knifes because it is thin and doesn't collect grime.

In side opening autos, this is less important as the mechanisms are less fussy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Rem-oil is popular for these knifes because it is thin and doesn't collect grime.

In side opening autos, this is less important as the mechanisms are less fussy.

This spring I lost a Benchmade Griptilian while stacking logs for firewood. The bark probably caught the pocket clip, as I was lifting logs that were up against my leg. The Griptilian is a manual folder.

This Griptilian has a black handle, clip, and blade -- therefore it doesn't stand out in dark soil with bark chips. I found the knife 6-7 weeks later -- after numerous hard rains, and getting stepped on by a calf. The calf pooped nearby, but fortunately missed the knife by a few inches. Knives don't make good turd blossoms.

The knife was really quite dirty. Even after extensive cleaning, the action wasn't as smooth as my other Griptilians. I have sprayed RemOil on the hinge pin a couple of times, and worked the action quite a bit. It's still not as smooth as my new knives, but it's getting close to what it originally was. RemOil works.

I now carry one of my Benchmade Bugout knives while working at our ranch. The Bugout design is more open than the Griptilian, and thus doesn't seem to be as affected by dirt and sawdust. The Bugout also has a bright orange handle, so hopefully I will better see the knife if it goes to the ground again. Red Face

Bottom line -- even non-auto or non-assist folders can be affected by grime from asshat moments.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post