SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    A different auto knife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A different auto knife Login/Join 
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted
When we first moved to AZ in 2001 I wanted to buy some auto knives as they were not allowed where we came from. I found Dave Reed (Goodstuff Knives) at a annual 3-Day gun show in PHX. He had 4 tables full of sharp cool stuff and one was this 1-piece frame stiletto auto - 1 of 100. It instantly deploys its 3.5" blade.

Over a 20 year period I bought a lot of varied blades from Dave.

Posts: 3991 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I like how it doesn't try to be fancy looking other than with the actual blade itself.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19568 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I’m moving from Cali (where a knife can carry a stiffer penalty under certain circumstances than a firearm). I seriously want an OTF. Are they practical? Or am I just chasing something because I couldn’t have it?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
I’m moving from Cali (where a knife can carry a stiffer penalty under certain circumstances than a firearm). I seriously want an OTF. Are they practical? Or am I just chasing something because I couldn’t have it?

Yes and no. In some respects there really isn't much that it can do that any other knife can't, it's just as close to owning a light saber as one can get. But when my son was born I found that the ability to safely open and close a knife one-handed with just the motion of my thumb was vastly underrated and a god-send when holding a squirming toddler and needing to open a new box of wipes.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
One thing I have found with an OTF is that you need to carry it in a pocket (with or without using retainer clip) that you don't put change in. Seems that loose coins love to get lodged in the blade opening rendering the knife useless.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
That is a very cool looking knife - who is the manufacturer?

Posts: 1497 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Z06, I dig that Dave Reed. It's all business, no frills.

quote:
I’m moving from Cali (where a knife can carry a stiffer penalty under certain circumstances than a firearm). I seriously want an OTF.

Me too.

quote:
Are they practical? Or am I just chasing something because I couldn’t have it?

I think it will largely depend on the knife. A Frank Beltrame is probably not going to be up for much use beyond opening letters. A Hogue or a Guardian Tactical are probably where I'm going to start for looking into that question myself. I have a small assortment of Spyderco knives and find myself carrying the Manix 2 XL the most, and it's taken an absolute beating from me. I doubt I'll get to abuse an OTF quite like that, but I'm willing to find out.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a url for David Reed?

Posts: 1541 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen or talked to David since 2019. IDK if he is even in the business anymore.

Posts: 3991 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
quote:

Yes and no. In some respects there really isn't much that it can do that any other knife can't, it's just as close to owning a light saber as one can get. But when my son was born I found that the ability to safely open and close a knife one-handed with just the motion of my thumb was vastly underrated and a god-send when holding a squirming toddler and needing to open a new box of wipes.

And the Bad-Ass Dad of the Year Award goes to…Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post