SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Sharpened my daily carry on the WE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sharpened my daily carry on the WE Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
It was in dire need
Went up to 1600 grit
Cel camera didn’t really capture it, bu you can see you’re reflection

keyboard laptop keys

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That might be a perfect edge for your daily carry but if you wanted a little more polished edge you might try CBN on a Balsa Strop........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I have the balsa strops and 3.5 and 5 micron paste somewhere
Only used them once or twice

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:

3.5-5 is pretty coarse for a balsa strop. My stones go to 2 Micron so I start with 1.0 micron spray on the strop and have them down to .1. A 5 Micron strop isn't going to be much finer than the finish you already have on the edge.

And of course depending on you preferences the strops might not be worth the time. That edge might be perfect for what you do and the extra time stropping is always a consideration...........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:

For an edge with very good bite. I've sharpened to a 300 grit stone followed by a dozen or so passes with 4 micron emulsion, basswood strop. Lower the strop 1.75-2.5 degrees depending on pressure and steel. Give it a try with your 5 micron paste!

When going after a polished edge I'll go backwards or same'ish with strop micron from the last stone then go lower.

For my own EDC knives I prefer 700 max /1 micron strop. Good balance between bite and push cut.

Cool thing about sharpening our own knives, try different techniques. Learn how the edges hold up, how fine of an edge, how finishing with a strop vs stone differs....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my WE but I’m too lazy to do polished edges. I do like them though. Sounds like we have about the same setup except I’m using those pastes on leather. Never tried balsa.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post