SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Question about 1911 pistol grip knives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about 1911 pistol grip knives Login/Join 
posted
I see both folding and fixed blade styles offered.
I like the idea and the looks.

But does anyone here have one, that can comment on the actual use?

The grips on a 1911 are comfortable enough .
But the knives I see on the internet are much narrower.
Are they a knife to just look at?

How awkward are they in the hand?
My hands are palming a basket ball big.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I have the Ultimate Equipment M1911 that I received as a gift some years ago. Although I do like it, I don’t carry it that often. It’s large and heavy. For me, too big for carrying in a pocket, so I have a sheath for it.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've owned this blackened M1911 folder for more than a decade, since seeing them offered on a 1911 forum. It's a well made knife (I think this one has an upgraded steel option), but certainly more robust than I want for pocket carry. I've got a nylon case for it, but rarely carry this particular knife, since I've kind of gravitated towards assisted opening knives for EDC.

I really like the ability to use 1911 stocks on these, as I've got some really nice wood beyond that worn by my Nighthawk Custom pistols. While I wouldn't say these are "awkward" in the hand, they certainly aren't held like the Browning designed pistols. If you're a big guy (like I am), I'm sure you'd be comfortable holding/using one of these, but note that these blades are certainly easier to deploy than to unlock.

Here's my knife, utilizing handcheckered 1911 stocks that I believe were purchased from Esmeralda.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's good looking,
I wonder if the same thing in a fixed blade would be lighter weight ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I picked one up once and didn't think it was a good design for a knife handle.

Too deep, top to bottom, and shouldn't be that much wider at the pinky end.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
So I have both the folding and the fixed in stainless steel. I’m have huge hands and they are not a terrible fit but for me not super practical. I have them in a display case in my office and will be adding a stainless 1911 with matching grips soon.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3614 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post