SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Rust advice for a sword... a large sword
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust advice for a sword... a large sword Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I have an oversized "Dao" otherwise often called a Chinese Saber. It's really a training sword for a martial art called Bagua Zhang.

The blade is carbon steel and needs attention. There was some rust and I used Navy jelly to try to tend to it, but that did little and, I think, has stained the blade.

I'd like to get it back into some condition, but am not sure what products to use and how to go about it.

Pummel and Hilt are brass. Wood handle.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Scotch brite pad and WD-40 in straight lines not circles.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the Scotch Brite pad, non-rusting consistent abrasive. I might go with camellia oil or similar over WD-40 for a more traditional solution. If you want to be even more traditional Amazon has Japanese sword care kits available for reasonable prices. You can go as far nuts as you want from there depending on the value of your sword........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Musashi...care+maintenance+kit

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I actually use Brasso to clean my swords.
I cut up an old tshirt and use that, brasso and some elbow grease to clean stains and scratches.

Now I make sure I oil my swords monthly if I don't get a chance to use them. Been hard finding cheap tatami.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brass wool and kroil - there are zero anti-rust components in this steel, after repoloshing with lapping compound and felt, you’ll need to address it weekly. A wax based polish should protect it, but get the pits cleaned out with the brass room then polish them out with lapping compound and felt.

--- signature follows ---

I will not knowingly violate any laws regarding the shipment of restricted magazines. So keep THAT in mind when contacting me.

Posts: 57 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post with results.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck protecting blades and guns with a good coat of Renaissance Museum Quality Wax. I use it on everything, guns, knives, leather, tools. You can get it on Amazon. I use the empty cans for my beeswax & Crisco BP mix, and a host of other things.

This of course, for use after you get the blade bright again.

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post