SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    To collect or use? Emerson Irish Commander.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To collect or use? Emerson Irish Commander. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I finally got an Emerson Irish Knife. They made some in my preferred model, the Commander.

I bought it because it’s cool and I had actually thought about using it on occasion. I’m not really a collector though I have a few nice things that don’t get used much. This is not one of the Irish bog wood handled models that are auction only items, just a Commander with a black blade, clear/green grips with shamrocks and a titanium shamrock thumb opener.

On the other side, they don’t make many of them and they’re usually in a tanto blade knife and they usually sell out before I can snag one.

Question:
To collect or to use?

Choices:
Collect!
Use!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's in nice condition, I'd probably keep it that way. My Emersons are beaters; they're tools that I expect to scratch and ding and hurt.

If it were me, I'd use one of those for carry and utility and put the collector edition in a drawer. That's just me, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda like platonic love? It wants to be used and used hard.

Personally it's a real pleasure to use one of the nice knives. Does it really fit your hand? Are there hot spots on the handle when used hard? Does it keep an edge?

I cringed when I dropped my nice Dozier Folder but was relieved afterwards since- It's not cherry anymore.

It's a tool and made to be used. Being used highlights why it's a great tool.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Use it, I see many pictures of nice unused collectors but I don't see many pics of user Emersons.
The one cqc7 I picked up on the classifieds here is in my pocket now and has been used daily.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Use it. It will never become retirement money valuable. It won't ever get much more valuable than it is now, if it increases it all.

Randalls increase in value. Original Loveless knives. A few other custom makers' knives are like that. The rest are users.

Use it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
That particular one will never be made again.
Use the others first.
When you get down to this one then decide.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post