SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    So let me put this out there, Which Company would you look at to be a dealer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So let me put this out there, Which Company would you look at to be a dealer? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
#1 MUST be American Made

#2 My Market is$100 and under buyers

#3 looking for a smaller Company with good QC as I already deal with the Mass makers (CRKT and Cold Steel)

#4 Single Blade Folders are 85% of my business

#5 Benchmades are great but my clientel would never spend the $$$ for them.

As previously posted, I am/was considering Bear and Sons , but I have not pulled the trigger on anything yet.

So what's your suggestions?
Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The best ones are out of business or name bought up by the Chinese. Thinking Schrade, Old Timer, Queen etc etc.

One that does come to mind but is also Chinese is the "Rough Rider" line of knives. Lots of knife for the value price. Their product line is broad and covers most interests. I don't actually own any, as I prefer a higher quality steel in general, but have seen many sing praise of Rough Rider.

http://www.roughriderknives.com/

EDIT: And I'll also toss Ontario Knife out there. Mostly made in Taiwan I think. I often carry a Rat II in either D2 or AUS8.

http://ontarioknife.com/shop.html/

EDIT #2: Oops ... those really aren't small companies ... or American made (which you didn't mention). But, they hit your price point in most of their product line and I've never encountered quality issues. I mentioned Ontario's Rat and my gosh what a great well made knife for $30-35 dollars. I have two of them and can find no flaws.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
Buck.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I know they’re not a small company, but Kershaw has a pretty good made in the USA line. Their QC is good and the have great CS. Many of the USA made knives they sell are sub $100.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Case

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was gonna recommend Kershaw also, as that is who I setup as a dealer for, be aware of a few things.

-Not every model is made in USA
-Minimum order/yearly spending requirements
-Kershaw knives are a 3-per purchase, meaning you have to buy 3 of a particular model when buying.
-Allows you to also buy Zero Tolerance, which has a higher price, but better dealer markup, so you in theory can make more, or give better FTF deals.

Look into Blue Ridge Knives, as they are a distributor for Kershaw as well as a lot of other brands that you can get instead of just buying-in to one specific manufacturer at a time. Just an option.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Spyderco.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like Spyderco, too, but I don't know whether their prices fit your customers.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw your post on Bladeforums. I didn't think it was an easy question.

Plus there's a chance you customer base really wants a $50 +/- selection.

A limited run of a GEC Sigforum knife would be nice. More likely a lot of work without any profit.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Case

Yep

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
So I will be meeting with these people this week.
I appreciate all your recommendations and thought I'd share the background of the company with you.

Note many of you listed these as recommended.

I Fear,re Keshaw and Spyderco in particular, I would be facing the same problem as CRKT. Price whored sellers on Amazon and eBay.
If all goes well, hopefully I like the fit and feel of their products, and it's not aggressively sold by every Tom, Dick and Harry (no Offense to any of you)
I think I would be leading a line not well known or sold in these parts with one leading Story.
"Made In the USA"
The shows, events and exhibits I participate in, I think my typical Customer would rather buy American.
They now make a new 1st Responders Knife, which I am anxious to see.

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with many knives, including Spyderco is the small profit margin. I can buy Spyderco wholesale through several distributors, but often find the same models on Amazon for just a couple dollars over distributor pricing. And yes some on Amazon are knockoff, but not all.

A friend of mine deals mostly with knives. He said he has a much higher profit margin on Chinese knives (no surprise) than anything American made. To get the same profit margin on American knives, the retail pricing is so high it limits his market.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaybirdaccountant,

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
The problem with many knives, including Spyderco is the small profit margin. I can buy Spyderco wholesale through several distributors, but often find the same models on Amazon for just a couple dollars over distributor pricing. And yes some on Amazon are knockoff, but not all.

A friend of deals mostly with knives. He said he has a much higher profit margin on Chinese knives (no surprise) than anything American made. To get the same profit margin on American knives, the retail pricing is so high it limits his market.

You are so correct, I see knives AT or below my cost on amazing and EbAY. now take their cut 10-13% plus pay pal 3.5% and either that shit is stolen or you are buying from a very stupid person...

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
#1 MUST be American Made

#2 My Market is $100 and under buyers

#3 looking for a smaller Company with good QC as I already deal with the Mass makers (CRKT and Cold Steel)

#4 Single Blade Folders are 85% of my business

#5 Benchmades are great but my clientel would never spend the $$$ for them.

As previously posted, I am/was considering Bear and Sons , but I have not pulled the trigger on anything yet.

So what's your suggestions?
Thanks.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Ontario..they have all the rat line up and now they have the Joe Pardue utilitac line!!!

I plan on buying some this year!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ontario.

As a business man, I heve a problem when the company offers deep discounts on their own website. I tells me that is all the product is really worth...
I will talk to them, however.