SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Pretty Cool Remaking Junk Knife Into Fine Chef Knife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pretty Cool Remaking Junk Knife Into Fine Chef Knife Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Being a knife guy and a DIY nerd I couldn't help but watching this transform:

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Came out looking very nice. Was ok to watch also.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice- Wish I had all the tools.

It didn't seem very sharp though?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
this place is crazy, i was just gifted a big, ole' butcher knife and i am turning it into a more modern looking chef knife next week. should be a super fun project.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Nice- Wish I had all the tools.

It didn't seem very sharp though?

Looks pretty dang sharp to me > look at 16:35 if the vid. Eek

Posts: 22845 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Not knowing much about knife making, what is the 'clay' applied to each side and fired? And what effect/purpose does it provide?

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
Not knowing much about knife making, what is the 'clay' applied to each side and fired? And what effect/purpose does it provide?

I believe they call it the hamon so the edge and the rest of the blade cool at different rates, part of the hardening process.

Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Ahhh. I understand. Thanks!

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
So why can't I have my custom knife in 15 minutes too!!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Neat. I wonder how much that sold for.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17242 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Watch the tomato= It compresses and doesn't slice to start. It's not even sliced through. The cantaloupe shouldn't compress like it does.

"Sharpening on the slack of the 2x72 with very high grit belt"= Surprising he didn't finish it off with some nice Japanese Water Stones or something.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Watch the tomato= It compresses and doesn't slice to start. It's not even sliced through. The cantaloupe shouldn't compress like it does.

"Sharpening on the slack of the 2x72 with very high grit belt"= Surprising he didn't finish it off with some nice Japanese Water Stones or something.

Yeah, those rice paper thin slices of tomato are really compressing it. Confused